Crafting a Premise that Makes Readers Hungry for More

Okay, let's start with the basics — what is a novel premise?

Imagine it as the first bite into a heavenly chocolate bonbon. It's that "mmmm" moment, giving readers a sneak peek into the assorted candies — your plot, with glimpses of scrumptious characters and their mouthwatering mysteries. So, it's not just the icing on your literary cupcake, but the sugar high that keeps your readers hooked! 🧁

So, let's break down some of the key premise concepts illustrated with examples and steps on how to implement them:

1. The Theme Supreme
Your theme is the heartbeat of your novel. It's the underlying message or big idea that resonates throughout your story. It gives your narrative its pulse and purpose. Choose a theme that strikes a chord with you, something you are passionate about, and something that will hold your interest throughout the writing process.

Example: Let's say you're passionate about the theme of 'friendship'. You could create a scenario where two childhood imaginary friends (a grumpy unicorn and a cheerful dragon!) have to navigate their differences to save their human from moving to a city where imagination is banned.

How to do it: Start with a question that relates to your theme like, "What could be the reason for two characters with opposite personalities to become friends?" Then, create a situation where your character must answer this question through their actions and decisions.

2. Character Cravings
Every protagonist has a deep-seated desire or goal that propels them through the story. This could be anything from finding true love to solving a murder mystery. Understanding what your main character wants more than anything else is crucial to crafting a compelling premise. This motivation will drive your story forward and keep readers turning pages to find out if they succeed or fail.

Example: Suppose your protagonist is an alien who craves an understanding of human emotions. His deepest desire is to write the ultimate intergalactic guidebook on 'Understanding Earthling Emotions'.

How to do it: Give your character an unusual craving and then make their quest, well...difficult. 😜 You can even add that every time the alien tries to understand a human emotion, they sneeze sparkles!

3. Emotional Resonance
A good premise should tap into universal human emotions. Whether it's the thrill of adventure, the sting of betrayal, the joy of love, or the sorrow of loss, an emotionally resonant premise will connect with readers on a deep, personal level. It's this emotional connection that keeps them engaged and invested in your characters and their journey.

Example: To tap into the emotion of fear, your premise could involve a seasoned journalist trying to expose a powerful corporation's dark secrets, putting her own life at risk in the process.

How to do it: Think about what scares you or most people, then put your characters in a situation where they must face this fear head-on.

4. Raise the Stakes
High stakes are crucial to a gripping premise. Whether it's a life-or-death situation, a difficult moral choice, or the risk of losing something precious, high stakes keep readers on the edge of their seats, eager to find out what happens next. This element of risk and uncertainty adds tension and propels your narrative forward.

Example: Let's say you're writing a thriller novel where an archaeologist discovers an ancient artifact that, if fallen into the wrong hands, could trigger the apocalypse.

How to do it: Consider what your character stands to lose if they fail, and make sure it's something that would drastically affect their world. The higher the stakes, the more tension and reader engagement.

5. Simplicity Spells Success
While your story may have many layers and complexities, at its core, it should be about universal human experiences. Aim for simplicity in your premise and complexity in its execution. For example, "A young wizard must defeat a dark lord" is a simple premise, but the Harry Potter series is rich in complexity.

Example: A simple premise could be "A young woman discovers she can see future events in her dreams."

How to do it: Keep your premise straightforward and focused on one main idea or conflict. The complexity comes from how this premise unfolds and the layers you add through subplots, character development, and world-building.

6. The 'So What' Test
A compelling premise should pass the 'So What' test. When you describe your premise, it should provoke intrigue and curiosity, making someone ask, "And then what happens?" If it doesn't pique interest or generate questions, it might need some tweaking.

Example: If your premise is, "A man finds an old diary," it might not pass the 'So What' test. But if it's, "A man finds an old diary that holds the key to a centuries-old mystery," that adds an element of intrigue.

How to do it: Add a unique twist or unexpected element to your premise that makes readers want to know more.

7. The 'Opposite Day' Approach
If you're stuck, try flipping your initial premise on its head. If your first idea was a hero saving the world, what about a villain trying to destroy it? This approach can lead to fresh, innovative premises that defy conventions and expectations.

Example: If your initial premise is, "An elite spy is assigned to take down a notorious villain," flipping it could lead to, "A notorious villain must team up with an elite spy to save the world."

How to do it: Take your initial premise and reverse the roles, outcomes, or expectations. This can help you create fresh and innovative ideas.

Remember, crafting a compelling premise takes time

so...

don't get discouraged if it's not what you imagined it would be at first. Experiment with different ideas, play around with various scenarios and let your creativity soar. You've got this! 🙌

Now my mic goes to you! 🎤
When choosing a book, do you look at the back cover to see what it's about?

Fancy a peek behind the curtain? I've got you covered! On my Instagram, you'll find additional writing tips and tricks, along with a backstage pass to my writing process

Ever wondered how a story unfolds from the first spark of an idea to the final full-stop? Join me as I try to pull back the veil on the magical journey of storytelling. From the initial brainstorming sessions to late-night typing marathons, you'll get an insider's view of how my books come to life.

So, if you feel like joining our community of story lovers, hop on over to my Instagram @EmeraldGoldWrites. Can't wait to see you there AND/OR get to know you here! Sending you all virtual hugs! 🤗