Chapter 1- Midnight Blue Eyes

Grayson

It was one of those days. I was standing behind Avery leaning to look at her monitor as she summarized what she had found on a few charities so that I could look into them deeper.

"This particular organization caught my eye because it's for a really good cause but they just don't have enough money--" Just as she was about to continue, however, we were interrupted when Oren walked into her Office.

"Avery, there is a journalist downstairs and she wants to talk with you," he said.

"Urgh... I still have a few documents to hand over before I can call it a day. Grayson, do you mind going and just keeping her occupied for a few minutes? I promise I won't take long" she said.

She seemed really tired and I knew if I refused, she would have to go deal with it. So, I agreed. As I made my way down the stairs, I could see the outline of a girl. She had black wavy hair and her back was facing me. Just as I reached my final step she turned around.

I stopped breathing. It was not only her beauty that took my breath away but the fact that I knew her.......

(Flashback)

It was a normal day. I woke up, drank my coffee, and made my way to the college pool. I had finished 10 laps and decided to take a break. I took out my phone to see what was going on in the world. I saw some weird videos of cats doing weird things, and people fighting over money when I stumbled across Jameson's Instagram page and he posted a picture of himself with an arm around Avery's waist.

She's so beautiful, I thought and tried to stop there but I couldn't. Her thick ashy-brown hair is not quite wavy, not quite straight with natural lighter highlights. Glowing hazel eyes with golden-brown freckles splattered across her nose. I thought about her lips, how they felt against mine when I kissed them during the interview. Gentle and soft but unforgettable.

I stopped at that second, closed my phone, and submerged myself underwater. I closed my eyes, refusing to think about Avery, refusing to think about her that way. I held my breath under the water, even when my lungs burned, I refused to return to the surface. Then my alarm rang for college, only then did I allow myself to return to the surface, free from the painful thoughts. I got out of the pool, took a quick shower, put on a shirt and office pants, grabbed my laptop and car keys, and got into my car.

Once I started driving, I turned on the radio to listen to the news while I drove.

"Hello people of America,the temperature is rising because of one person who has captured almost all news headlines: Ms. Avery Kylie Grambs, the one who has donated several billions of dollars to various charitable organizations–" I turned off the radio.

She chose Jameson..... She made her choice; it was obvious that it would be Jameson from the very beginning. Then why did it hurt? Why does listening to her, talking to her, and looking at her hurt? No, I need a distraction. I need to think about something else.

Once I reached campus I pulled over and parked my car with ease. I picked up my bag and like every day for the past year, I walked through the grand doors and found my way to my desk. Kyle Smith, the person who on the first day of college decided that he was my best friend, was there flirting with the girl he had been crushing on for the last 2 months. However, when she looked at me, her breathing went hoarse. I maintained my cold expression to make her leave. She stayed for a moment longer before getting up from my seat and walking away.

"Yo I was just about to ask her on a date! Not only do you scare away my girls but you also steal my chances" Kyle groaned as I took my seat next to him.