i. ⸺ a new heir

𝐇𝐎𝐋𝐈𝐃𝐀𝐘𝐒 𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐌𝐄𝐀𝐍𝐓 𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 a time when families would come together and celebrate with one another

𝐇𝐎𝐋𝐈𝐃𝐀𝐘𝐒 𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐌𝐄𝐀𝐍𝐓 𝐓𝐎 𝐁𝐄 a time when families would come together and celebrate with one another. Houses would be filled with cheerfulness and joy; laughter and happiness would bubble in peoples' chests.

But that was not the case for the Black family.

At least... not that particular holiday season.

Athena remembered the day all too well, though she wished she didn't. She remembered the way his screams echoed through the empty house followed shortly by their mother's sharp voice. Every time she thought it was over, it wasn't. His screams filled her mind. She heard them when she fell asleep at night and she heard them every morning when she woke up.

It was as though they were haunting her. Torturing her every time she thought about her twin brother. Every positive memory she had with him was suddenly replaced with his screams of agony and pain.

It had been two weeks since Sirius Black ran away from home. And two weeks since Athena and Regulus Black had last seen their brother.

Athena now stood on the platform of the Hogwarts Express next to her younger brother with their parents. Ever since Sirius ran away, they had become more stern while disciplining their remaining two children. Regulus had officially been named the heir to the Black family name and shortly afterward, he was found in his older sister's room on the brink of tears.

They were all the other had now — and they weren't going to lose each other.

"Now, if you see him," Walburga Black began, spatting at the end of her sentence. She refused to even acknowledge Sirius' presence, let alone say his name. "What do you do?"

"We walk away and don't acknowledge him," Athena recited, trying not to say it in a bored voice. She didn't need to make her mother even angrier than she already was. "And if he tries to talk to us—"

"—we won't reply," Regulus finished.

Walburga eyed her two children and nodded in approval. "Very good," she said, straightening her posture, and Athena took the opportunity to examine her.

Walburga Black was every bit as scary on the outside as she was on the inside. Her grey eyes which always seemed to be filled with anger perfectly complimented the tight bun that sat on the top of her head. To Athena, it seemed as though her eyebrows were always furrowed together; she always looked angry. In fact, Athena couldn't remember a single time when her mother ever smiled.

Her eyes shifted to the left of her mother where her father stood. Orion Black carried himself with the same air of confidence and superiority that his wife had, but he was much more reserved. One could argue that Orion was the gentler parent, but Athena would disagree. Neither was gentle. While it was Walburga who used Unforgivable Curses on Sirius, Orion stood by and did nothing to stop the pain. For that, Athena would never forgive him.