ii. ⸺ unforgivable curses

𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐍𝐀 𝐁𝐋𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐖𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄𝐑 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐄𝐋𝐅 fairly smart — and many of her classmates would agree

𝐀𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐍𝐀 𝐁𝐋𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐖𝐎𝐔𝐋𝐃 𝐂𝐎𝐍𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄𝐑 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐒𝐄𝐋𝐅 fairly smart — and many of her classmates would agree. She was third in her year behind only Remus Lupin and Lily Evans. Though, of course, Athena didn't care about where she was in a class ranking. Her parents, on the other hand, did care about her position in the class ranking and they often expressed her anger at being behind a half-blood and a muggleborn.

Despite Athena's best efforts at telling her parents that she was trying her best, her best wasn't good enough, they always replied.

She was a member of an influential wizarding family. She had to be better than two students who weren't a pureblood.

She and Aurora sat in the Great Hall on the first day of classes following the holiday break and it was safe to say... Aurora was not happy.

"But it's Defense Against the Dark Arts!" she griped at breakfast and Athena added some bacon and eggs to her plate while her friend complained in her ear. "How do they expect us to retain information if we have a new teacher every year all with different teaching styles?"

"You are aware that you complain about this every time we have that class, right?" Athena asked the blonde and she nodded.

"That means that it's a serious issue!" she exclaimed but stopped when Athena stuffed a piece of toast in her mouth. "What, no jam?"

Athena rolled her eyes and passed her the jam just as Sirius, James Potter, and Remus Lupin walked into the Great Hall. She watched as her brother sat down with his friends at the Gryffindor table and rolled her eyes as James looked over at Lily Evans who sat on the other end of the table with Alexander Potter and her friends.

"Desperate much?" she muttered to herself, following the interaction while nibbling on a piece of bacon. She watched as James walked over to his brother and furrowed her brow when she saw them coming closer to her. "Why are they coming over here?"

Aurora looked up and her sight was immediately met with the Potter twins and she sighed, holding her head in her hands. "Oh, brother..."

"Hey, look," Athena said with a false smile and looked at the brothers in innocence. "It's 'Pretty Boy Potter' and his twin brother. To what do we owe this unpleasure?"

"Which one is 'Pretty Boy'?" James asked and she shrugged.

"That's for you to decide," she replied. "What do you want, Potter?"

"You're in the Slug Club with Lily," he said and she nodded, breaking apart a piece of toast and looking at him. "Any chance you can help me?"

She narrowed her eyes. "Why in Merlin would I ever help you with something like that?" she asked, tilting her head. She looked over at Aurora who shrugged. "No, actually, why would I help you with that?"