Chapter One

Third person's point of view.

A gold disc, embossed with a gold scorpion. The gold disc is the masthead at the top of a banner being carried by an Akkadian soldier. 6,000 Akkadian soldiers march with him. 9,000 Sumerian soldiers are coming at them from across the golden dunes. Behind the Sumerians is the massive walled City of Thebes: palaces, temples, needles, --the works. The Nile runs alongside it. Six thousand years ago, a fierce warrior known as the Scorpion King, led a great army on a campaign to unite the known world.

A powerful fist is thrust into view, clenching a scimitar, a gold bracelet adorns the warrior's wrist. Muscular, brutal looking and heavily scarred, this is the Scorpion King. He bellows a command. He and his soldiers charge forward. As both armies, fifteen thousand men strong, pour over the golden dunes and clash. The Scorpion King fights like a man possessed. Slowly being swallowed up in the dust. After a vicious campaign which lasted 7 long years the Scorpion King and his army were finally defeated and driven deep into the sacred desert of Ahm Shere.

-THE DESERT OF AHM SHERE-

The remains of the Scorpion King's decimated army retreats into the desert. One by one they slowly perished under the scorching sun, until only the great warrior himself was left alive. Alone in the middle of a vast wasteland, the Scorpion King crawls on his hands and knees, then he looks up into the heavens, raises his fist in anger, and bellows a curse. Near death, the Scorpion King made a pact with the dark god Anubis. The Scorpion King sees a live scorpion crawling towards him. He looks back up to the heavens and sneers,

Then grabs the wriggling thing with his bare hands. His face grimaces as it stings him. Be shoves the scorpion into his mouth and chews. That if Anubis would spare his life, and let him conquer his enemies, that he would give Anubis his soul. Anubis accepted his offer and spared his life. Suddenly, in a circle around him, - lush green vegetation springs up and out of the sand. Then explodes out exponentially in every direction. The Oasis of Ahm Shere is born.

-CITY OF THEBES: THE FOLLOWING YEAR-

A decapitated human head rolls across the ground, followed by a headless man, still twitching. And then a big clawed foot steps onto the headless man's chest. The creature is reveled and an extremely evil looking Anubian warrior: from the waist down he has a human exoskeleton covered in striated muscles, from the waist up he's a jackal-headed creature. He lifts his scimitar and roars in triumph at killing the unarmed human.

Anubis gave the Scorpion King command of his army. And like an evil flood, they washed away all that lay before them. Thousands of hideous Anubis Warriors swarm through the fantastic and sprawling City of Thebes, now in ruins. Buildings burn. Monuments fall. People scream. When his task was done, Anubis forced the Scorpion King to serve him for all time. His army was returned to the sands from whence they came. The Anubian warriors turned black as ash and flittered away in the wind.

Where they wait, silently, to be awakened once again.

-EGYPT 1933-

A figure moves through the main area, pillars are cracked and dusty, rats and mice move around looking for food, glyphs are depicted on the walls, telling stories about who once lived within these now empty walls. The figure shifts to a large crack in one of the left hand walls. Down the tunnel and behind a wall of webs, is Rick O'Connell. He's scouting for anything that may want to hurt him and his travelling companions. He draws his gun at the sound of footsteps and pushes through the webs,

Parting them with his free hand. Stepping through, he grabs a torch and lights his way with it. The torch is held before him like a weapon while his gun is aimed forward to shoot if need be. He's checking corner and crevasse. Making sure nothing is alive down there with him, he's had too many experiences with things like that and wants to reduce the number as much as he can. Once he's satisfied that there isn't anything, he uncocks his gun and turns to head back the way he came.

But his 6 going on 7 year old son, Alex, startles him, they both scream and Alex falls over. Panting and trying to calm down, Rick lowers his gun to avoid hurting his son and looks at Alex. "Alex?" he says breathlessly. But his son simply chuckles at him. Rick puts his gun away when Alex teases, "What were you thinking, a Mummy had come back to life?" reaching down for Alex to help him up Rick says, "I'll tell you the story sometime," then he turns on parent mode. "What are you doing down here, I thought I told you to wait for us in the temple." Rick scolds.

"But...But..." Alex tries to explain why he's there but Rick cuts him off. "No 'buts' it's dangerous down here, Alex." But Alex finally get his point out. "But I saw your tattoo." Rick frowns, "You saw what?" he muses confusingly. "On the wall by the entrance. There's a cartouche just like it." he explains while taking off the leather patch Rick keeps on his wrist over the tattoo he has there. "With the pyramid and the eye and the two kings and everything." he says pointing out each of the parts with his finger.

Taking his leather band back, he muses, "Really?" and Alex smiles and nods, "Yeah." Rick nods, "Okay, well, I'll be up to take a look at that in a minute." Alex is not pleased by that, "But-" he starts but Rick cuts him off again. "In the mean time, I want you to wait for us up there." Alex tries to move towards Rick, constantly saying 'But', but Rick insists, "No, pick up your stuff, and I'll see you up in the temple." Squeezing Alex's shoulder to get him moving, but the boy turns to his dad again, "but..." Rick is already pointing, "Go."

Alex sighs, and picks up his hat he'd been wearing before, he empties out the sand before putting it back on. "go on." Rick urges. "And... and what shall I do?" he argues, Rick shrugs, "I don't know. Surprise me." turning from his son he adds, "Build a better mousetrap." Alex takes that and runs with it. "Okay," muttering to himself mostly he adds. "While your mother goes and desecrates another tomb."