Chapter 2 - IS SHE NAIVE?

Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."

!!JAI CHAWLA!!

I slapped her because I wanted her to hate me. It was the first time I raised my hand at her.

No apologies, no guilt. Choosing my own happiness, I'm selfish for Savi's love. Devika, not my choice; just a pawn in my plan, fulfilling my father's last wish.

Our marriage, not a union of hearts but a strategic maneuver veiling a concealed divorce plan. Loyalty to Savi, unwavering – a declaration echoing in the silent chambers of my conscience.

Devika, untouched, as my commitment to Savi stands resolute.

A dive into the past unveils a detached version of myself on our first night.

I entered the room to find her emerging from the bathroom, her reception dress transformed into a simple suit. The bed adorned with roses irritated me, but I maintained a calm facade.

With a feigned smile, I inquired, "Did you have dinner, Devika?"

"Yay, Mom gave me," she replied with a genuine smile.

Our conversation felt awkward, reminiscent of our less-than-ideal wedding day.

She asked about Papa ji's health, and I grimly shared, "His condition is critical. The doctor doubts he'll."

"Don't worry, everything will be fine," she reassured, placing her hand in mine.

I decided to be upfront, "I don't want to rush into things. Let's build a friendship before diving into a marital relationship."

Devika blushed, agreeing, "Yes, I also want to take things slow."

Concerned about sharing a bed, I asked, "Are you okay sleeping in bed?"

"Yes, no problem." she replied.

As the clock struck midnight, memories of our first night flooded back. Settling in my study, I opened a drawer, preparing to confront the reality with divorce papers in hand.

My father passed away a month after our marriage.Six months have woven a tapestry of manipulation around Devika.

Proudly, I declare success as my mother turns hostile, scrutinizing Devika's every move.

I watch the drama unfold, finding entertainment in the chaos I've orchestrated.

I still can't fathom her; there's no attachment, no connection between us.

Yet, it's not because of me, but rather us. She refrains from questioning, only responding to my inquires.

There's no initiation of conversation; she lives like a single girl, showing no signs of a married woman. What is she?

Today, I slapped her, but she didn't utter a word. No questions about my nightly absences.

I'm never home at night; I'm always at Savi's place, yet she seems indifferent or maybe oblivious.

Initially, I thought she was naive, but is she really?

Leaving that aside, what should be my next move?

Heading back to the room, I find Devika peacefully seated, engrossed in her phone.

"I want a divorce," I announce, her attention shifting from the phone to me.

A fleeting moment reveals the visible handprints on her cheeks.

"Okay," she responds calmly, prompting me to question her composure.

But she surprises me with three conditions.

"Speak," I command, eager to comprehend her demands.

"First, I want to tell you a story," she begins, and I'm left wondering about her sanity.

Her insistence on uninterrupted narration and a mysterious third condition bewilders me.

As she prepares to share her story, I resist, unwilling to comply with her 'idiot' conditions.

"Don't you want a mutual divorce?" she proposes, a question I reluctantly accept.

"Okay, I agree," I concede, seating myself on the same couch where moments ago, divorce papers found their place.

The atmosphere thickens with an unspoken tension as Devika readies herself to reveal the story....

****************************************************************************
Thank you:)