2. I get a meeting with a warrior princess

Looking at Jason Grace was like staring at a golden God. 

Which, as I came to learn rather quickly, wasn't that weird of me to think.  

I had learned about Ancient Rome a little bit growing up from my Gran. She was old-fashioned and felt a classical education was important. I grew up learning Latin as my foreign language but most of my knowledge of Rome was from a historical perspective. Gran tried to read some of the Greek philosophers to me but most of it went over my head. 

After I had fully gained consciousness and Jason had confirmed I was capable enough to walk on my own he passed me off to another camper, Dakota. I was quiet the whole time I was being debriefed. I didn't want to miss anything and I was too confused to even think of what questions I wanted to ask.

"How are you feeling?" he asked as I stared at the ground beneath my feet.

The truth? I wasn't sure. All of this new information was difficult for me to process. 

"Honestly? I'm not sure how I feel or what to think" I answered looking up and staring off into the distance. 

Dakota had walked me around camp rather quickly and honestly a little sporadic. He seemed to give me a spark notes explanation of everything and it felt as though he was having trouble standing upright.

"Usually, we don't have to do much of the explaining on our end. Most of our recruits are given an introduction up north before they make it down here" He explained pulling a small flask out of his pocket and taking a swig. 

He was a little sloppy with his movement and splashed some of the red liquid on himself. It almost looked like fruit punch but I didn't think now was the time to ask. Instead, I just nodded and watched as he wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and tucked it back in the same pocket he'd pulled it from. 

"Well, if you don't have any questions, I've been instructed to bring you to Reyna. She'll have some questions for you"

—————-

I knew the basics of the praetorships from my Gran. They were both military leaders and judges. They were meant to be fair and balanced leaders and serve as a source of strength and stability. Walking to meet Reyna, I could see the praetors were in charge here. Why anyone would let two teenagers run a camp was lost on me, but based on the current conditions of things they didn't seem to be having much of an issue.

I walked into the room filled with long tables with maps lining the walls and figurines seemingly reenacting battles fighting across some of the tables. My eyes stopped on a girl a couple of years older than me with glossy black hair, braided neatly behind her back, and a gorgeous purple cloak that framed her shoulders nicely. She was facing away from us staring out the window ahead of her, seemingly deep in thought. 

"Thank you, Dakota, you may leave us"

Dakota said nothing to me as he walked out and closed the doors behind him. I watched as he left and then turned back to find the girl- who I could only assume was Reyna - studying me, unsure of what to make of me. 

"I take it Dakota has given you the tour, and the history of our Legion?" She asked, moving to pull out a single chair for me. 

I couldn't read her expression, as I was coming to find was common amongst people here at Camp Jupiter. I wasn't sure if that was just how Romans are or if there was an extra wall up due to me being an outsider.

"Yes, he did" I answered remaining standing. I don't know why but sitting felt like the wrong thing to do at the moment. It seemed almost like Reyna was testing me, and her presence was intimidating enough that I didn't want to risk failing.

"Do you care to explain how you managed to fight off a Pandai that was besting three of our strongest?" She questioned and I stared blankly at her.

I remembered the car crash, Mr. Reicke freezing, and Danielle screaming... 

"I don't remember fighting any Pandas, I don't remember anything after being pulled from the wreckage... Where are the others I was with?" I was confused and felt more and more disoriented the harder I tried to recall what happened. 

Reyna also looked confused at my response. 

"Pandai, not Pandas, and your companions were both humans so we let their paramedics handle them" She explained stepping towards me. 

Her eyes were dark, black almost but in a way that resembled the night sky if there were no stars. They were terrifying yet beautiful simultaneously. They scanned my face, looking for some sort of sign I was lying. 

I sat there silently as she let out a sharp whistle from her mouth and two glistening creatures came from the door to stand on either side of her. One shimmered in gold and the other in silver. They resembled large dogs or small wolves, I wasn't sure but their red eyes were frightening, and while they were docile at the moment I got the sense that could change in an instant.

"I don't remember any of that, I only remember being pulled out and then waking up in the infirmary" I reiterated. 

The dogs stayed the same and Reyna nodded seemingly confirming a private thought she had. 

"Very well, you seem to be telling the truth. We don't take well to outsiders coming in and disrupting our operations with no explanation" She started and stepped over to the side of the room to examine something in a tiny wooden box. Her gaze was locked on whatever was inside for a good minute before she slammed it shut.

"I'll need to discuss this...with my fellow praetor" She paused looking at me before turning back around.

"In the meantime, you'll need to meet with our camp Augur. He will be able to give his insight on what your presence here bodes for us" She finished before pulling a large cord hanging in the corner of the room. 

The doors I had walked through opened and in walked Jason Grace, in his purple t-shirt with a cloak of his own hanging from his shoulders. 

"Dakota will take her," He explained to Reyna on his way in not catching my eyes. 

"Good, we have much to discuss" She replied walking over to one of the war reenactment tables and waving her hand. The battle commenced from where it had stopped and the figurines were back at odds with one another. 

Jason and her stood at their table, not speaking to me, not saying a word to one another but seemingly holding a conversation with only their eyes. I didn't move, instead, I stood there waiting for anyone to say anything. I heard movement behind me and guessed it was Dakota waiting to escort me to the Augur. 

No one spoke a word but I could tell Dakota was getting antsy because I could hear him tapping his feet.

"You're dismissed" Jason stated maintaining eye contact with Reyna.

The coolness of his voice irked me. 

"Thanks" I shot back matching his tone. 

I didn't wait to see his reaction before turning around and walking out of the door.