7. I get some direction

My birthday gift had a no returns policy on it. So I decided I might as well wear the necklace anyways.

As much as Romans are sticklers for rules no one really knew how to proceed with the trial. The cursed gift from Vulcan seemed to be a sign that whatever was happening wasn't fully in my control. 

Still, the cursed necklace didn't magically set everyone's opinion of me back 12 hours. I was allowed to walk free after everyone was dismissed from the Coliseum but no one wanted to be near me. Even the fauns in New Rome avoided me like the plague.

I decided to keep my distance from everyone. While I knew that decision wasn't really mine to make, Leila didn't mind me staying away from the cohort, at least for today. I think she felt they would benefit from a little space. 

The only person insistent on me keeping to my regular schedule was Jason. He expected me for training at the usual time after lunch. So I took the morning for myself, walking up to temple hill for some fresh air and to clear my mind.

The sun was still rising in the sky as I sat down on the grass and leaned backwards. The whole camp was gorgeous from this view, and I was able to see into New Rome where the normal atmosphere of city life had returned. 

"How are you?" 

I sat up surprised to see Reyna standing in front of me. I went to quickly stand up and brush the dirt off my legs when she put her hand out indicating for me to sit back down. 

"Please, stay seated, I'm not here for long" She explained walking over and taking her own seat on a rock nearby. 

My first thought was that Jason must've sent her to check on me. 

"I'm not sure. Right now I'm trying to think" I answered her staring back down at the Camp below. 

She was quiet, looking at me, as if expecting me to say more. 

"I don't know why I'm here, my Gran used to tell me all about Ancient Rome, but she never mentioned my father or placed any emphasis on any one god" I explained. 

I let my words sit in the air for a moment before continuing.

"I don't really know anything about my family. I don't know how I fit into everything here and I don't know why the only sign I have from a God is a curse" 

There were tears welling in my eyes and as much as I wanted to suck it up I was at a breaking point. 

Reyna didn't say a word but she did stand up and walk over to me before extending her hand. I took it and she helped me stand up myself. 

"Self pity isn't productive. I hear your pain, there are others at camp who have similar issues. I suggest instead of sitting in your own thoughts you look for more answers about your necklace" She offered before pausing for my reaction. 

I wiped my tears quickly and nodded. She was right, I may not have wanted to hear it at the moment but Reyna knew I needed to hear it. Crying wasn't going to fix my situation and I had no idea how much time I had until the next incident could occur. 

"You're right" I said plainly and she nodded at me. 

"The University has an excellent archive, you may want to start there" She offered and I nodded. 

With that parting thought she left me standing alone on the top of the hill staring out at the camp below. 

—————

I went straight back to New Rome to visit the archive, Terminus gave me another odd look but eventually let me through. I got a couple odd looks from people as I walked through, but there was no mass exodus away from me so I got the feeling everyone cared more about their normal schedule than completely avoiding me.