Chapter 4: Leaving

It was probably five in the morning when Piper shook me awake. The sun hadn't risen yet, but the horizon was starting to shine with a soft orange glow, and dawn was already beginning to spill through the clouds, dying them pink.

I hauled myself out of bed and tried not to complain. This was an important quest. I had to start with small things, like getting up early without grumbling about it. Grabbing my backpack and throwing on my clothes, I raced to the bathroom and almost smashed into someone -- Drew. She stood in front of the door, arms crossed, leaning on the frame. Her eyebrows knitted together as she gave me a scornful glare. Why was she up so early? She was already dressed in jeans, a Camp Half Blood t-shirt, and had all her makeup on. Was it a necessity to spend two hours in the washroom when one looked perfectly fine?

She glanced in Piper's direction as if to make sure she wasn't listening. Then, she leaned forward and whispered harshly in my ear: "I don't care what you do with this quest. I don't care if you mess up. Just don't. Come. Back. You don't belong here, honey. You're an embarrassment to the whole cabin. I don't know how it was possible for mom to have someone like you, but now that it's happened..." She gave me one of those pitiful looks, her eyes full of mocking as she turned and stalked off.

I honestly had no idea what that was about. Maybe Drew was angry that I didn't get in trouble yesterday for being late for breakfast. Maybe she was jealous that she didn't get to go on a quest... or maybe not. Drew'd rather stay and gossip. But then again, she's hated me ever since I arrived -- I wasn't fashionable enough, not gossipy enough, and simply unlike other children of Aphrodite. Me not returning on the quest -- it was a perfect way for Drew to get rid of me.

I told myself to ignore her words - they were meant to hurt me, which was exactly the reason why I shouldn't let them bother me. It was stupid, Drew Tanaka getting up at five in the morning to whisper some harsh words to Melody Devereaux, whom she criticized every day. But it still stung. I didn't want to be daughter of Aphrodite either. I would do anything to trade positions. But I couldn't.

I quickly brushed my teeth and changed before joining Piper, who was waiting patiently at the door of the Aphrodite cabin. After some difficulty, I had strapped my sword onto my waist with a belt, though I was still rather worried with walking around with a sword. "Let's go," Piper said, "Nico's probably up already. We can go to the Hades cabin to get him, and Jay said he'd be waiting at the dining pavilion. Have you got everything?" I nodded silently, patting my bag. I had transferred my book, art supplies, and as much clothes as I could into it; it was easier than taking a whole suitcase.

The walk to the Hades cabin was short and crisp, the morning air biting viciously at whatever exposed skin that it could find. I stuffed my hands in my pockets and hunched my shoulders, trying to warm myself up. Piper didn't speak, but her eyebrows were furrowed and her steps were unintentionally fast paced.

Nico was already waiting, leaning on the closed door of his cabin. He had a backpack slung easily over his shoulders, eyes looking impossibly dark in the light of the barely risen sun. He looked unfazed by the idea of the quest, even slightly at ease. He had on black jeans, a seemingly solid black t-shirt and an aviator jacket that was half zipped up. His eyes scanned us for a second. "Let's go," Piper said, "Jay's waiting in the dining pavilion."

Nico nodded but didn't say anything. We made our way to the dining pavilion, walking in an uncomfortable and awkward silence.

Jay was waiting for us there like he had promised. His hair looked like golden thread in the now half risen sun, and his eyes intensely blue. He was wearing a short sleeve t-shirt and shorts. He grinned at all of us -- how did all these people sit so well with the fact that we were going on a godsdamn quest? -- and nodded at me. "Ready, leader?" he asked.