Chapter 5: Planning

"Run!" I didn't even bother to acknowledge which person had spoken. Regardless, I was already bolting even before the prodding from whomever had spoken. Soon, they were running also, but behind me. Despite my generally weak looking appearance, I was actually rather fit. I didn't dread gym class like many other kids I knew. In fact, I rather enjoyed it. I probably could have made a sports team, but the problem with that was in the name--team. I didn't want extra attention. Even track felt like being too social, so I stuck to running on my own, every morning and sometimes nights in summer. It was at times like this that all that running came in handy. I was ahead of the others, although not sure what town I was in.

It was scary how quickly the atmosphere had changed. The picturesque blue sky and clouds were replaced with thick rain clouds of varying shades of gray, and it seemed like the water pressure from above increased every second. All around me, the colors of the buildings appeared to blur together through the veil of water, as if they were being washed away with the rain. Bit by bit, the street became less of a road and more of a river, the water drains at the sides just barely keeping up with the liquid that was running into them at an alarming rate. I leaped up onto a sidewalk to avoid the pool that was forming. Even though I hadn't been in the street long, the bottom of my pants were soaked to just above my ankles. At the same time, the water was saturating the from of my jeans and my sweater. All four of us would need to be rung out by the time we reached shelter.

I slipped and slid in on the wet cement sidewalk, my arms flailing in odd directions to keep my balance. Luckily for me, I managed to stay upright. Less could be said about the others though.

"Mel, Melody! Slow down!" It was Piper, although the sound of rain pounding down on cement and puddles almost drowned out her voice. "We need to-" She got cut off, her pause almost immediately followed by a sloshing sound. I turned on my heel, narrowly avoiding wiping out with the sudden change in direction. Pipe was sprawled awkwardly on the street where she had slipped, scrambling into a sitting position. She attempted to get up, succeeding only in falling again and getting more street water on her. Jay caught up to her and grabbed her arm, yanking her up. He continued to keep a hold on her arm as he started running again, barely waiting for her to be read. Nico was behind them, seeming to be taking the rain and run the hardest.

I turned away from looking at them for a moment, staring ahead to try and find a suitable destination. It was hard to see, but a ways away I could make out a sign: Daunts Albatross Motel. I had never heard of the place before, but a motel was a motel, and that meant a warm haven and a place to dry off until we could start walking again--wherever it was we were going. We could make a plan once we were out of the rain.

"Go there," I called over the ran, jerking a hand toward the motel I had spotted.

Piper nodded in response. She and Jay, now clinging to each other for support and balance, were starting to catch up. Nico, however, with no help, was still lacking. I sighed and started moving back toward the others. It was no use if he took forever. Every step he took made me wince, thinking he was about to fall. Piper and Jay gave me an odd look, obviously confused that I was going the wrong way. But, I passed them, getting to Nico and taking purchase on his upper arm right as he was about to fall, for real this time. Although I had kept him from face-planting the ground, he glared at me, and tried to yank his arm away. I wasn't expecting such a cold reaction, but I didn't lose my grip; in fact, it tightened, and I started yanking him along.

"Get off of me," he growled, once again trying to take back his arm.

I wasn't looking at him, and I still didn't let go or stop walking. "I'm not waiting for you to stumble through the rain. Just accept the help."

"Who said I needed help?" he snapped.

"Logic. Observation. Common sense." He gave no more reply, and neither did I. Soon, he and I had caught up to Jay and Piper, and we headed as a huddled group into the motel.