Prologue

Once upon a time, long, long ago in a distant land called Moonlit Grove, there existed a kingdom known as Aetherlyn, a place where magic flowed like the wind. This enchanting realm lay beneath the watchful gaze of the North Star.

Within the grand castle of Aetherlyn dwelled its monarchs, King Fredrick and Queen Eleanor. The royal couple was blessed with three, wonderful children: Ava, Grace and Ryan.

Everyone in the land knows the children well and adores the king and queen. They are marvelous people. They are kind, fearless, compassionate and overall good-hearted individuals. They understand their people and love to interact with them.

That's what makes them so beloved. Most kings and queens of their lands rule over their people like subjects; them, however, cannot do that. They do not see their people as "subjects." They see them as their friends; their own flesh and blood. And they love them as much as they love their children.

Ava, the youngest, doesn't necessarily like to follow the rules. Well, it's not like she goes out of her way to break them, she just believes that if the rules are "stupid," she doesn't see why she should follow them. Ever since she was a little girl, she always loved to see how far she can take things. How much she can push the limits. Her motto has always been "Rules are meant to be broken."

Grace, the middle, has been the overlooked one. Sure her parents acknowledges her but between her older brother who'll be king one day and her younger sister who likes trouble, she's really nothing. She doesn't mind though, she likes the time she spends with herself. She picked up hobbies to bide her time such as reading and writing poetry.

And Ryan, the oldest, destined to be the king of Aetherlyn, was a provider for his sisters. With him being the eldest, he has a lot of responsibility on his shoulders. He has to watch over his sisters, which he doesn't mind, but he also has to learn the basics of being ruler when the time comes. He sometimes wishes he wasn't the next in line and he wishes he got to experience other things like friends.

The only friends he has are his sisters, whom he doesn't really count considering they are blood relatives, and two maids in the castle named Abigail and Olivia. Well he did have a childhood friend named Justin but he hasn't seen him since they were little kids.

Another thing he wishes he got to experience was love. Someone whom he can hold hands with. Whom he wishes to kiss on the lips and hold or be held by in the other's arms so tightly that in the fear of not wanting to be let go. He can only dream to be that in love with someone whom he doesn't have to question if they are the one or not.

Some nights, he goes down to the castle's garden, where resides a water fountain, and beneath the fountain lies a pond carved into the ground.

He likes to go there and watch the little fish swim around. There are two fish however that always catches his eyes.

Two koi fish, one black and one white, swim in a circle with one another and they dance underneath the moonlight. They are connected to one another and seem to share such a closeness with each other that when apart, the other has no meaning. No purpose. No life.

Ryan found them fascinating. To be connected to one another and feel like you've become lost when you two are apart.

There is something Ryan likes to do whenever he isn't attending his royal duties. No one knows about this; only he does.