4

As the summer days passed, I'd find myself looking forward to the moments when our paths would cross. I learned that his name was Freminet, a quiet, reserved boy whose heart seemed to be made for the ocean.

Sometimes, we would sit on the pier, our legs dangling over the edge as we watched the sun set, painting the sky with hues of orange and pink. The waves, once so intimidating, now felt like an old friend, and the fear that had haunted me for so long slowly began to dissipate.

Other times, we would find a secluded spot on the beach, where he would show me his latest creations - clockwork machines crafted with such precision and care, they seemed to dance with life in the golden sunlight. I remember the way his eyes would light up as he explained the mechanics, the words no longer lodged in his throat.

And then there were the silent moments, when words were unnecessary, and all we needed was the comforting presence of each other. We would simply sit, side by side, listening to the rhythmic lullaby of the waves, lost in our own thoughts.

"So, do you dive every day?" I once asked, looking down at the ocean from our usual spot on the rocky cliffs. It was a stupid question, and I knew the answer before the words left my lips.

Freminet simply nodded, his eyes never leaving the water. "Every day," he answered, his voice barely audible above the sound of the crashing waves.

I'd always wondered what it was like, to spend hours diving into the depths of the ocean. To swim amongst the schools of fish and explore the hidden treasures of the underwater world. But I also knew that, with every thought of diving into the ocean, came the haunting memory of my past. 

It was a suffocating feeling, a lurking reminder of the sea's deception as it laid in wait to take the lives of those who dared to step into her domain.

The thought of the water closing over my head, the desperate struggle for air, the terrifying sense of helplessness-- I shook my head, trying to push away the thoughts before they consumed me.

I turned back to Freminet, his eyes reflecting the setting sun. "Tell me," I said, my voice stronger now, "What's it like to dive into the ocean?"

He stared at me for a moment, as if he was searching for the right words. A small smile tugged at his lips, his eyes crinkling in the corners. "It's like..." He paused, his gaze drifting to the ocean below. "It's like being part of something bigger than yourself."

I stared at him, waiting for him to continue.

"As you know, diving is one of the few things I'm any good at. I spend more time among the Tidalga than I do talking to people. They don't ask you questions or act disappointed, they just float there quietly with you... The underwater world is much simpler than the world of dry land."

He paused, his gaze distant. "Each time I dive, it's as if the water understands me.  It's a feeling of belonging, of connection. Like the whole world is connected through the ocean."

Suddenly, Freminet grew quiet, his cheeks flushing a soft pink under the sun's glow, as if he was embarrassed for having revealed so much. He looked away, his gaze returning to the ocean, his safe haven, his eyes reflecting the endless blue.

I couldn't hide the awe in my eyes even if I tried. The thing I so feared was something he loved, something that whispered peace to his soul. I couldn't wrap my head around it. It was like trying to understand a song in a language I didn't speak.

I tilted my head to look at his face, his gaze was lost in the depths of the sea he so loved.

Breaking the silence, he turned to me, a soft determination in his eyes. "One day, I'll show you," Freminet promised.