5

As the days of summer unfurled like a sunflower reaching for the sun, I found myself drawn to the ocean's edge, hand in hand with my ocean-eyed boy.

The ocean slowly became our playground. I learned to trust the rhythm of the waves, the soft kisses of the tide, the gentle pull of the current. We waded deeper each day, the water rising from our ankles to our knees, then our waists, until finally, I found myself standing in neck-deep water.

The first time it happened, I froze, the terror of drowning returning to me like a wave of ice water. But Freminet was there, his ocean-blue eyes filled with encouragement, his voice soft and steady, reassuring me that he would not let go.

He promised.

And that was all I needed.

So, I stayed, letting the cool water envelop me, feeling the sand shift beneath my feet, the gentle lapping of the waves against my shoulders, and listening to the distant call of the seagulls above.

Freminet was the ocean, and I was the shore, his waves gently caressing my sandy existence.

In those moments, I felt truly alive.

The following day, he invited me to go diving. It was an unusual request, especially from him. But the way he looked at me, his ocean eyes shining with anticipation and excitement, made it impossible for me to say no.

So, after a long conversation with my aunt, a promise to stay within his sight, and despite every fiber of my being screaming in protest, I agreed to go diving.

I couldn't hide the nervousness and hesitation in my eyes as we stood at the shore, the rising sun painting the sky with hues of orange and purple.

"Remember, don't fight the water," Freminet reassured me. "Just relax, and let the current carry you. And if you're ever scared, just look at me."

His words, while meant to reassure me, only made my heart race. But I knew he was right. What good would it do if I thrashed and screamed? The ocean would only ignore me and probably swallow me even faster to shut me up. The very idea made me want to turn around and run.

I knew he'd save me if it ever came to it. He was a seasoned diver after all, but I was still hesitant, my thoughts running rampant. What if I didn't do well? What if I got hurt, or worse, drowned?

The ocean was, after all, my enemy.

He noticed my unease, and his features softened.

"You don't have to go if you don't want to," he murmured. "We can always go another day."

I shook my head, taking a deep breath and steeling my resolve.

"No, I want to do this," I found myself saying. I was surprised at the determination in my own voice. It was quite the opposite of what I was feeling. "I know I can."

I could see the surprise in his eyes, quickly replaced by a warm glow of admiration. It caused the ocean-blue of his eyes to shimmer like the sun-dappled sea at dawn.

He let go of my hand, only to reach into his bag. He pulled out a diving helmet, its surface gleaming in the sunlight. To my surprise, it was a replica of his own.

"Y/n," he said, holding the helmet out to me. "I made this for you. It's just like mine."

My eyes widened as I stared at the helmet, taking in the fine craftsmanship. It was a beautiful piece, and I could tell he'd spent hours on it. I traced the smooth surface with my fingers, marveling at the details. Each rivet, each curve, each line... wow.

I looked up at him, meeting his ocean-blue eyes. "You... made this?"

He nodded, his cheeks flushed. "Do you like it?"