Chapter Nine

A few days before New Year's and the Flemming's annual New Year's Eve Charity Ball, Joe Blackwood received the greatest Christmas gift he had acquired in a very long time, his status as an American citizen had finally arrived. He related the good news to Mr. Flemming who was extremely happy for him because he knew how long he had waited for that moment to arrive. He was also happy because his wife could not use that as a threat anymore to get Collin to stay away from Aurora, especially now that Collin was on his way there. No one knew that Collin was coming, not even Collin's uncle. He wanted it to be a surprise for everyone and he knew that his wife Claire would probably catch a fit when she saw him. He wasn't worried about Aurora or David. Chances are Aurora would forget all about David when she saw Collin. He hoped that Aurora and Collin would work out their issues although she would be going back to Cleveland the day after New Year's.

Mrs. Allison's stepson Jamal and Collin became fast friends over the two weeks they had known each other. They discovered that they shared similar interests when it came to cars amongst other things. Jamal especially liked the relationship that Collin and his stepmother had and he was surprised that a younger person would find comfort and interest in developing such a beautiful friendship with an older individual. Jamal had friends in high places and he owned several small automotive businesses throughout the country which were doing well. He had invited Collin to one of his offices while he was in the States and promised to show him around when he got there. Collin was elated when he extended the offer and promised that he would see him when he arrived.

Aurora tied the lace of her sneakers and placed the earphones in her ears to go for her early morning run. She had a lot of things to get done today because it was several hours before her parents' New Year's Eve Ball. Of all the extravagant parties that her parents, especially her mother, have held the New Year's Eve Ball was the one she looked forward to every year the most because it was in honor of people who needed it the most.

She began on the trail that she took whenever she went running but for some strange reason, she ended up at Mr. Joe's cottage. She reflected on the last time she was there when she went to see Collin to enquire what was happening to him but he ended up pushing her away. She never quite understood him she thought to herself, and it was he who said he loved her. To her, it didn't matter now anyway. Collin had given her the chance to get to know David and she was happy with that, although she knew that her feelings for David were not like the ones she had for him. Nevertheless, he had made his decision and she respected him for it.

She glanced over towards the apple tree which had nothing but snow crusted on its branches and saw Mr. Joe shoveling away snow to clear the path. She decided that she would say hello, after all, they hadn't talked much since she'd been home for the holidays.

"Good morning Mr. Joe", she said politely.

"Hello, my dear girl! Out for your regular run, I see", he said joyfully.

Aurora nodded as she tried to catch a breath and she noticed that he was in a rather good mood. It was not very often that his demeanor was so joyful and bright.

"Yes, I see you've been quite busy. This place looks amazing even in the snow", she complimented him.

"Thank you, my dear, you are always warm and kind", he smiled.

He invited Aurora inside for a cup of coffee and she accepted. She reminded him of how much trouble he saved her from when she was a child and they laughed. Joe was always protecting Aurora, it was as if she was his daughter. He told her how truly proud he was of her and that she should continue to fight for her dreams no matter what.

"Have you spoken to Collin Mr. Joe?" Aurora suddenly asked. She had a pained look in her eyes but she was smiling to hide her true feelings.

Joe smiled at her and held her hands.