09 : new assignment

Lala had been waiting for hours upon hours, he still wasn't back

Lala had been waiting for hours upon hours, he still wasn't back. Her mind started to wander to the potential scenarios that could've happened. She didn't want him to end up hurt somewhere and he wasn't answering the phone to let her know that he was okay. Her feet practically ran a hole in the floor with how much she'd been pacing, taking breaks to rest her leg.

Finally, around five in the morning, Brian came rushing into the boathouse quickly. His eyes darted around before landing on Lala, who was sitting on the bed with her leg propped on a pillow. He beelined to her side and pulled her into a tight hug.

"What happened? Are you okay, B? Where did you go?" She rattled off questions and he pulled away from the hug, taking her face in his hands and kissing her head. Then he walked over to his dresser and grabbed the go bag from next to it. This all felt too familiar to her - just like the day he had left.

"Customs snatched me off the street." He tossed the bag on the bed. "Oh and the Skyline is dead now."

"Customs?!" Lala freaked out on him. "You got picked up by fucking Customs? Where's my Skyline, Brian? I didn't even hear you get back."

Brian pulled a change of clothes out and took off his shirt. "They pulled me in since I'm technically a fugitive. Guess what they wanted to talk about? Dom's case." He pulled a different shirt on and she stood up. "The car is in the police impound lot but they sent the mainframe into overdrive. I'll buy you a new one, I promise."

"I don't care about the car, B. They couldn't prove it, right?" Her arms crossed over her chest. "What happened in Cali stays there, Miami is way out of their jurisdiction."

"Remember the agent that tried to get you to flip?"

Lala furrowed her brows while thinking about the man she had met, the one who questioned her multiple times after about Brian. "Bilkins?"

"Yeah, him. Get this shit- he was there and he ID'ed me right in front of their guys. So I cut a deal with them." He sat her down on the bed with him. "I promised you that after everything that went down, there would be no more secrets between us."

Her hands found their way to his and she swallowed hard. "Brian, what deal? What's going on?"

"We're taking down Carter Verone." He squeezed her hands in his but was cut short by her yanking away.

Lala's eyes widened at the name as she stood again. "The hell if you are! You're not even going to get close to bringing down Carter before he puts a bullet in your head."

"Baby, we got this all figured out. There's a UC that's in deep like almost a year deep. I'm going in as a street racer that he'll 'hire' and hopefully everything else will fall right into place." Brian explained to his...he didn't even know what to call her at this point. "I'm not going alone, I'm gonna get Pearce."

"Pearce? Rome?" Lala stood up and started pacing again. She let out a nervous, borderline bitter laugh before questioning him. "The Rome? The Roman Pearce, who currently despises your existence? Why the hell would he help you?"