Chapter 4 - Walking home

I scrubbed my arm until it was raw, but the number refused to budge. I sighed in frustration and felt the tears brim my eyes as I hit the sink out of anger.

I let them roll down my face as I stared at the faded number stained across my arm. I gritted my teeth as I pulled out my phone and typed in the number.

I was already late for my chemistry lesson. I pulled my blazer sleeve back down and wiped my face. "Shit." I looked in the mirror and saw my makeup has smudged down my face.

I turned on the hot tap and gently began wiping it away. Once it was finally all off I left the bathroom and ended up slamming into a brick wall.

Big hands grabbed my shoulders and steadied me. "Are you okay?" Nick asked me. I nodded, sniffing. "Why are you here?" I asked him.

"I wanted to check on you, you were acting strange at lunch and then you seemed upset in tutor. Tell me what's wrong." I shook my head. "It doesn't matter." I sighed.

"I'm sure it does." Nick said. "It's important enough to be bothering you." He smiled at me and rubbed my shoulder. "If you do decide you want to talk about it, let me know. I won't scribble my number across your arm, but if you want it for anything, just ask." My face scorched like the blazing August sun at his comment.

I gave him a tight lipped smile and nodded. "Thank you, Nick." He grinned again and dropped his hand, walking away.

Suddenly, my Elliot issue didn't seem so serious. I smiled to myself and headed to my next lesson, which was history.

I walked in late and took my seat next to Elle. "Hey." She gave me a gentle smile and looked back to Mr Haynes, who was giving me a disapproving look.

I sat down, watching him stare back at me. "Why were you late?" He asked me. "Bathroom emergency." I gave him a smug smile as I saw his face heat up. He nodded. "Okay."

He turned around and continued with the lesson. I got my book out of my bag and started copying what Mr Haynes was writing on the board, and whispered to Elle.

"Just so you know, me and Charlie are all good again now." Elle and I had never really been close, but it would be nice to have a friend in history.

Imogen, Chloe and Sahar were in completely different classes to me for everything. It would make a nice change if I had someone to speak to in at least one of my lessons.

"Good, it was driving us crazy having to listen to how much he missed you." She giggled. I smiled. "He missed me?" I laughed. "He's so sweet."

We both grinned at each other, laughing like maniacs in the back row of H26.

The rest of the lesson passed quickly. "Can I see your notes from the start of this lesson?" I asked her. She nodded and handed me her book. "Take a photo of them, it's quicker and easier." She smiled at me.

"Thank you." I snapped the photos and packed away my things, joining her in walking home.

We lived in similar directions so we walked the first part of our journey home together when Harry and Nick caught up to us, scaring Elle away.

"Oi dickhead, why didn't you wait for us after school? You have the key remember, I can't get in otherwise." He rubbed my hair, messing it up.

I sighed. "I'm not in the mood Harry. Fuck off. Hi Nick." He smiled and nodded in response. I forgot Nick was also coming over after school today. 

I heard someone approaching behind us. We were just out of the crowds of the students walking home, so hearing someone behind us wasn't difficult.

I kept walking until someone grabbed my wrist from behind me, making me jump. "Ahh!" I turned instantly to see who it was.

Elliot had the biggest shit eating grin on his face. I internally groaned. "Forgot I was coming over did you Princess?" He smirked.

I recovered quickly. Quicker than my brother and Nick, who hadn't even noticed I'd stopped walking. "Or are you too far up your own ass to notice what happened in tutor completely reversed your invitation over?" I snapped.

"No need to get angry Princess." He smirked. The smirk left his face quicker than it formed. "What was that stunt you pulled before the last lesson for? You made me late." He questioned.

I rolled my eyes. "Not everything is always about you! I was late too you know, I was busy scrubbing your phone number off my arm!" I shouted back.

The noise made Harry and Nick turn around. Shit. "Who's this?" Harry walked back towards us, his eyes glued to where his hand was holding my wrist. Nick followed behind him. "Why the fuck are you touching my sister?" He sped up and shoved Elliot off me. 

"Harry, leave him al-" "Shut up Carly! He grabbed you!" Harry interrupted me. Nick stopped in front of me, his eyes flicking between me and Elliot. I sighed, ignoring Nick and turned to watch the staring match between Elliot and Harry unfold. "I'm meant to be coming over to help her with her homework." Elliot smirked at me and then at Harry, knowing I didn't tell Harry he was coming over. 

"You WHAT?" He turned to me. "Carly, you must be fucking crazy if you think I'm letting him in our house, let alone your room." He shouted at me. I shook my head. "He's not coming over anymore." I told Harry, and I could've sworn I saw a flicker of hurt on Elliot's face. 

I shook it off. He deserves it. "I'll see you tomorrow then, Carly." Elliot's eyes hardened. He shoved Harry away from him and walked in the opposite direction, and I couldn't help but feel bad for him. 

I ignored Nick's questioning stare and Harry's anger and just continued walking home. They caught up to me after a few minutes, and we walked in an awkward silence for the rest of the way home. 

When we got home I unlocked the door and ran to my room before Harry could stop me. I slammed the door shut behind me and just let the tears roll.