Chapter two

Slowly she opened her eyes blinking several times as if that would jog her weary eyes. She was no longer in the book store, but in a vast world of black and white. The checkered floor was cold against her skin; shivering she got to her feet. Other than the bone white trees scattered across the black and white floor, the world looked desolate, but she couldn't shake the feeling that someone else was here.

Faintly, she could hear running water. Running water is a good sign right? When she was little her parents had once taken her camping but for the life of her she couldn't remember the advice they had given her. Cautiously, looking around she began walking towards what she thought was her safest bet, her heart pounding hard in her chest, instincts screaming for her to run, but she didn't. Looking behind her once more, surveying the land for movement but saw none. Turning back, she proceeded on, only to stop dead in her tracks. Her eyes grew wide with alarm as a figure of pure light appeared before her.

"I see you."

With a voice like wind chimes, its words crawled over her skin. Frozen in fear, she knew it had every intention of killing her. In a smooth and fluid motion, it glided towards her. Instinctively she took a step back, watching in fear as the checkered floor caved in with every move the creature made. A scream built in her chest as it reached out for her.

With her fight-or-flight instinct kicking in, she tore off in the opposite direction. Adrenaline coursed through her veins, her muscles aching with protest. Gasping for air and her foot faltered, causing her to fall, hitting her head against the base of a nearby tree, yelping in pain tears sprung forth.

She could sense the creature closing in on her, scrabbling to her feet like a wounded animal. The world spun in a sickening way; before her was a forest full of bone white trees. Wincing, her vision was still blurred, hesitantly she stepped into the forest; it was either that or get caught, she stumbled through the stark white forest. The thought this wasn't here before crossed her mind.

Half-staggering, half-running tree branches tore at her skin, the smell of blood and terror gripped her senses. The pain in her lungs was so bad she feared they would burst, stumbling to a stop, three paths were laid out before her.

In the distances a red pair of eyes watched her. "No," she whispered. The feeling of wanting to scream built up in her throat, a wave of frustration and fear slammed into her like a freight train.

Fear clung to her like ice cold water leaving her numb, she was at a dead end. A huge white tree was blocking the path and it was too late to turn back. Trembling, her mind was racing for a solution, she felt like a trapped animal frantic to save its life.

Streaked with tears, blood, and dirty, her gaze was transfixed on the white tree that was now bleeding thick, black liquid. It was like watching an ink pen explode. Flowing quickly to the forest floor, globs of it dropped from the branches. She watched as the thick black liquid transformed into crows; their beady eyes watched her every move.

The tree continued to ooze black, "how can this be happening? This is only a dream." Stepping back the black mass began to form the silhouette of a person. It looked up at her with glowing gold eyes. Opening its mouth to speak it looked as if it were melting. Dragging its body towards her she felt rooted to the earth.

"I am the shadows, the heart of darkness." She could hear it make a gurgling growl deep in its throat. "Nightfall will consume you and sin will eclipse your heart."

Turning to run, the air caught in her lungs. The creature loomed over her... she was trapped.

"Are you sure this is just a dream?"