Chapter three

In the back of her mind she could hear someone's heartbeat. It wasn't hers, she knew that but she felt connected to it. It called out to her like a soft lullaby; it warmed her cold skin, motivating her to leave the ground. Like a puppet being pulled along she crawled to her feet. Gasping for air it felt like this was the first time she'd ever taken a breath. The sound of the rhythmic beating was soon drowned out by unseen whispers. Their words were like buzzing in her head trying to entice her to listen, but she denied them.

In a dreamlike state she staggered to her feet. It felt like her mind was in a haze. The sad and soft sound of a violin, met her ears. Her heart was on a string as the violin lured her in. The sky was tinted red while the jagged ground below was a bleak grey. It was eerily beautiful. Amethyst feet sloshed through black puddles an uneasy feeling hounded her soul, in a trance like state, she was unable to find the strength or desire to stop. She had to know what was pulling her forward what was it that was calling out to her? Clumsily tripping over a rock, pain erupted from her hands and knees. Ignoring the crimson liquid, and wiping the blood against her clothes. The throbbing in her back stirred back to life, a chill slithering across her flesh.

"Amethyst," the voices returned, their harsh word grating at her ears, a fast chant that caused her heart to race, panicking she clamped her hands over her ears. Trying to will the voices away, this only caused them to dig themselves in deeper. In that brief instant she allowed herself to listen to the whispers and in that same moment she lost who she was.

Whimpering and crumpling to her knees, frozen in an unspoken horror, warm tears sprung from her eyes. Unable to tear her eyes away from four pairs of red orbs that were slowly moving closer, it only took her a second to realize that the red orbs were eyes, cold lifeless eyes that reminded her of fresh spilt blood. They crept out of the shadows smiling like the Cheshire cat revealing sharp pointed teeth. Their long arms dragging on the ground as they crouched down, their dark green skin looked like dull scales. Pawing at the ground dagger like nails dug into the earth. Their movements were between a crawl and a ticking motion. Slowly they inched closer, her heart lurched forward. She was close to hysterics as she tried to convince her frozen body. Move dammit! Just don't stand there!

Her heart pounded hard, a chill wormed its way up her spine but was soon washed away by a pool of warmth. In a quick and rough movement she was pulled up from the ground. A tall figure was her shield, his long silver was hair blocking her view of his face. She already knew who it was. She had seen him so many times in her dreams; revealing only one eye that was like a crystal with intricate designs, it was him again, the man with the crystal gaze.

"Your hesitation will get you killed." His voice was one that Amethyst would never forget, frigid yet enchanting.

"Run far away from here and don't look back." Awestruck by him she couldn't look away from his hypnotizing gaze. The air around them got heavier, picking up speed it was charged with an electrical force. Slowly his eyes began to turn red like the creatures that were making their way towards them. His right hand began to glow a bright blue.

"Are you going to stand there like an idiot? Get the hell out of here!" The wind seemed to respond to his anger, blowing his hair from his face revealing the beauty of an angel filled with a sinister rage. The look on his face shook her to her core. Taking a step back from him she ran for her life.

The moment she turned her back an electrical storm began. The blue lights avoided contact with her bouncing off the ground but consuming everything else in their path. Shrill screams met her ears, the guttural cries urged her to run faster. Panic stricken escape came to a halt when something black in the distance caught her eye. It was a lone black cage, cautiously watching the cage for movement, a quiet part of her was begging her to move closer. She could feel herself slipping back into a trance like state, each step carried her forward. Before she knew it, she was in front of the cage, the shiny black metal glistening in the red light. It seemed to ooze thick black liquid.