Eustass Kid - Bitter Sweet

You remembered it only because your body ached. The concussive force of the blast had sent you flying, and the fear of that memory was seared into your mind.

Everything else was gone.

You couldn't remember your name, or why you were somewhere that had put you in such danger. You were aware you were in a recovery room of sorts, but it didn't feel like a hospital, and the uneasy shifting sensation left you assuming you were on a boat.

You hated water, especially the ocean, you were certain of that. Old memories floated hazily through your mind. It hurt to focus on them, but the fringes of those long term memories were clear enough to know you avoided your island's piers and beaches.

Faces floated in and out of your mind as you stared at the ceiling. You could smell the bracing scent of disinfectant, a sweet scent of some sort of salve or lotion, and the itchy tingle of bandages and what were probably a couple casts. You could wiggle your fingers and toes, but everything simply ached.

You weren't sure if your hazy memory was because you were in too much pain to be bothered to remember, or if it was all simply gone. A cost for having survived the blast that still rattled your soul against your bones.

You heard the door open, and turned a little, to see an impressively tall man with neon pink hair enter into the room.

"Ah, you're awake. Don't move," he insists, putting his hands up after setting down the crate he'd brought in. "You took a hell of a beating and House says you gotta rest. Cap'n's orders too." He adds.

His demeanor and his voice are kind, and casual. Friendly. Your head throbs and you think you should know him, but no name is coming to mind. There's a soft pang of guilt, but you didn't consciously decide to forget so much.

"Tha-ungh." You try to say thank you, but the act of speaking hurts and you wince instead.

"You're welcome." He replies swiftly. "Don't try an' talk. You hurt yourself more an' Cap'n'll kick my ass down the deck. I'm just bringing in these supplies for House, I'll let her know yer up, and see if Killer can make you some broth at least. You've been sleeping for a couple'a days."

Captain.

Something in that single word makes your chest tighten. The burning sting of tears swells up in your heart and you cried. Silently and easily, surprising yourself a little. A large finger wipes them away and the big guy in the room with you smiles down at you kindly.

"It'll be alright (Y/N)." He assures you.

Your brows knit and he stops, tilting his head a little and looking at you. There's a moment of silence and you slowly, and carefully, manage to get four small words out.

"Is... that my name?"

You can feel the large man beside you flinch, and he pales so fast you're worried he's going to pass out and collapse by your bed. He nods slowly.

"Yeah. It is." He answers, lips and words tight. He's trying not to sound as worried as he is, a strained kind smile doing it's best to bring color back into his face. "I... I have to go get the doc, so - so jus' stay here. You're banged up pretty bad, so please don't move."

He nearly bolts out of the room and you lay on the bed, staring at the ceiling, wondering who you were a few days ago. What thoughts did you think three days ago, before something happened and changed it all. Did you smile easily? What sorrows gnawed at the edges of your laugh? What joys filled it out?

How could you know words, and a disdain for the sea, and not know your name? Or the name of someone who obviously cared for you enough to react like that man had?