Rob Lucci - Bitter-Sweet

(Not officially a continuation of the Kaku chapter, but not not one either >.> )

The whistle from the train shatters the air and the rain and you step back. Strong arms you couldn't ever escape on your own let you go as you grab your bag. The sounds of the world devour the apology on your lips before you turn and run to the train.

He didn't need to hear the words, even if he could over the rain. He didn't need the knowledge even as he watched Kaku run after you, disregarding everything he'd lived for since he was a child. He didn't need to know the emotion that spurred you both, even as his body changed and he cleared the platform in his leopard form fast enough to snag the last scrap of railing and pull himself aboard the caboose.

It had been an act of desperation on his part. A decision for your safety, and Kaku's.

So he told himself.

It wasn't jealously that had prompted him to put you in harm's way. It wasn't his own pacing, stalking, growing, growling desire to have you in his arms that had risked you in such a way. He couldn't possibly love you, it was lust, pure and simple. An animalistic desire.

A weakness of his devil fruit.

Lucci stepped inside the train after changing back into his human form, and seated himself quietly in an unoccupied corner. He couldn't follow too close, Kaku would notice. He couldn't hang back too far, or the ungrateful bastard would live up to his promise and disappear. Not even Lucci could melt into the world the way Kaku could.

But he was ever patient, and now he had more than one thing to take care of. His traitorous comrade, and his own useless desires.

And so he watched.

Waited.

Hunted.

His own claws dug scars into his arms every time he heard your laugh carry on the wind. His gums bled against clenched teeth when he caught sight of your lips against Kaku's. His desires flared until he saw naught but red and that had been his one mistake.

He had moved in too quickly and set off a wild dash across the island. Even with you in his arms Kaku was like the wind, slipping between trees and underbrush with all the skill of a forest spirit.

There was no amount of speed in his legs that could wipe your scent from existence, and fear splattered your essence about like a luminous path, guiding Lucci as he pushed the limits of his transformation. When he finally caught up with Kaku, the younger man was standing his ground.

Swords drawn.

Your scent was getting further and further away, and Lucci already knew what Kaku had promised you. What sweet words he promised you, saying that he could face Lucci better if he didn't have to worry about you. He couldn't defend you and fight Lucci, so if you ran, then he could win.

But you had to run.

Lucci's sneer turned into a roar as he rushed at Kaku. Without a devil fruit Kaku had no hope. Even if Lucci didn't use his, the swordsman wasn't rated as strong as he, and with you as the prize it wouldn't have mattered.

His lips would never speak your name again. Would never taste the sweet slip of your tongue. He would never lose himself in your eyes again. All these things would belong to him. Should belong to him.

Did belong to him!

-:-

-:- -:-

-:- -:- -:-

-:- -:- -:- -:-

-:- -:- -:-

-:- -:-

-:-

Blood dripped from his fingers as he moved carefully through the wilderness. He paid it no mind, some of it was his, but not enough. He was getting closer to you, he was certain. Everything would be okay once he found you.

Everything would be okay.

The words died on his heart and mind as the trees opened into an abrupt clearing. The edge of the world cut off swiftly afterward, and the edge was freshly crumbled away.

Panic gripped his heart as he looked over the edge.

You were at the bottom of the drop, hand to your head, and looking around blearily. Who knew how quickly you'd reached this point and fallen, or how hurt you were. Bracing, he slides down the embankment, causing you to look up at him.

Relief crosses your face, hand still at the wound on your head, sheepish smile on your lips.

"Oh thank goodness," you say, cheerfully relieved. "I didn't know how I was going to get back up."

He offers his hand and you take it, standing up carefully. There's deep crimson in the knuckles, but you don't think anything of it.

"Are you okay?" He questions, concern at the edge of a tired voice, as he moves enough to look into your eyes, making sure your pupils react to what little change in light he can provide.

"I think so... memory's a little fuzzy though." You wince a little. "I don't know how I ended up on a different island. Did Galley-La go on vacation or something? I know this isn't Water 7, but I can't seem to remember how I ended up here."

"... It was... just us." He says, clearing his throat gruffly. "I had business to attend to, and something more personal as well."

You blink, surprise scrawled on your face. "You're... talking?" You look around. "Where's Hattori?" You ask the question automatically before flinching, feeling a strange heat bubble up in your cheeks. "I mean, your voice is nice, er, I mean, pleasant, I mean-!" You cover your face with your hand. "If you spoke directly like that, the girls at Water 7 would flock to you."

Lucci kneels down, pulling your hand from your face gently. "Just you," he says softly, fingers rubbing against your hand. "I'm not going to let you wander off on your own after this. I'm glad you're not hurt too badly, but we need to get you to the hospital at the port."

"Y-yeah. Sure." Lucci turns his back to you as you stammer and motions for you to get on.

"I won't bite." He assures you, smiling a little as the nervous laugh bubbles up in your throat before you climb onto his back. "I would like to kiss you, before I did anything quite so intimate."

You tense, flinching a bit, but there's no fear in your scent, just a flustered embarrassment. It's quiet between you both for a long while, as he walks back through the forest, careful to give Kaku a wide-berth.

"... That was... your personal business?" You prompt softly, as the forest gives way and the port town comes into view. "A...um, confession?"

There's a soft flex of his fingers against your legs, but nothing more. "You're hurt. Don't worry about the details right now. I'll help you remember."

"So... when I remember... I can kiss you?"