Chapter 205 - Caliburn

"...se."

Viviane stirred. Her body that should have long lost all feeling by now responded to the faint sound that seemingly originated from an everdistant source. No matter how she struggled to close the distance, it remained out of reach.

Like a daring bird attempting to fly to the sun, or a curious fish trying to swim to the ocean's end, there were some things that simply weren't possible regardless of the effort put in.

Not unless the sun dropped to the level of the bird, or the ocean receded so that the fish could reach its end.

"Arise, Child of Eventide."

Viviane's upper body shot up, lurching forward and thrusting her hand out as if she were attempting to grab something. "Medrauta!"

She had shouted reflexively, only to realize that the silver-haired knight she sought was nowhere to be seen. There was nothing around her but an infinite expanse of pure white. The ground beneath her rippled in the wake of her own movement... and that of another's.

Viviane twisted herself around, only to find herself face-to-face with none other than Merlynne. She jolted upward in surprise, scrambling to her feet and backing up several paces before finally managing to calm herself.

The woman's dark blue hair flowed elegantly around her shoulders, each strand like a razor sharp blade ready to be fitted to a hilt. Her silver eyes glowed with an inner strength only possessed by well-forged weapons. Cloaked in a resplendent gown, Merlynne stood before Viviane in all her glory, no longer broken and affixed to that accursed black cross of Amelia's design.

"Hello, Child of Eventide."

"E-Emrys...!" Viviane exclaimed. "If you're here too, then... Are we dead?"

Merlynne shook her head. "No. Not yet, though I will soon be entering Aluvsha's embrace."

"W-What!? Why!?"

"I am currently using all my remaining power to sustain your life after the witch pierced your heart. We do not have the time for me to explain all the intricacies of how I am able to do so." Merlynne said, shutting down Viviane's question before she even had the chance to voice it.

"...I see." Viviane pursed her lips, a frown creasing her brow.

Knowing that she was only being kept alive through Merlynne's sacrifice was a rather heavy burden to bear when she was still dealing with the fact that she had practically died mere moments ago. She turned her thoughts away from herself and toward the person she cared about most.

"Is... Is Medrauta alright?" She asked tentatively, not sure if she truly wanted to know the answer. Should Medrauta have died, Viviane likely would've given up on all desire to survive. Much to her relief, Merlynne nodded.

"She is currently fighting for your sake as we speak, but I do not think she will last long against the witch." Merlynne replied. "Right here and now, you must make a choice, Child of Eventtide."

"...What choice?"

"Our time runs short, as does my ability to explain such things. In short, I can bring you back to life at the cost of my own, but doing so will cause you to fully inherit the power of the Lake."

"What do you mean...?"

"To wield the full power of the Lake means becoming an existence similar to mine." Merlynne touched a hand to her chest, causing her form to shimmer and become translucent.

Viviane's eyes widened as she looked upon Merlynne's see-through body, staring at the opaque object which seemed to hover in the center of her chest. It was a beautiful sword, its blade forged with pure silver that almost seemed to glow. Its gilded edges coupled with its ornately decorated hilt made it appear as though it was better suited for sitting in a treasury, but its perfectly honed blade spoke volumes of its true worth as a weapon.