Chapter 7

Kunlun Mountain's bandits, ruthless and sparing no one, even targeted women and children. Duan Wu felt paralyzed, entangled as if by venomous snakes, her entire body turning to stone.

      She sighed, lamenting her bad luck. Could it be payback for the many times she secretly nibbled on offerings meant for the Gods and Buddhas?

      Her eyes darted around, thinking about the principle of "birds of a feather flock together." If she displayed enough "gangster vibes," maybe the bandits would spare her?

      Several horses approached the cliff, their speed changing from fast to slow. They seemed to be heading towards the cave where everyone was staying overnight.

      Duan Wu grinned widely, laughing heartily three times. Since she used to be the lead singer, those three laughs startled the horses of two masked men.

      "Mountain King, hero, warrior, knight – which title is better?" She didn't have time to think too much about it. She turned her head and said, "Hero, where are we going to rob the rich and help the poor? I've come all the way from the South China Sea to Kunlun Mountain, dreaming of witnessing the legendary skills of all of you. Dreams do come true, even if I die, I'll die with a smile. Of course, not dying is even better. Do you need an extra pair of hands? I might not have many skills, but cooking, laundry, feeding horses – I'm proficient in all of that. If you have a lot of treasures, I can help you sort them out. When you come back from a robbery, I can sing and dance to liven things up..."

      The masked man behind her remained silent, not responding.

      Duan Wu's neck was sore, and she finally saw those blue eyes reflecting the starlight.

      She thought: Ah, those blue eyes probably can't understand official language.

      But the man behind her shook his head slightly.

      Duan Wu quickly said to him, "My dad and mom are just like you, but they're pirates. Do you know pirates?" She wanted to make some gestures, but her body was still held firmly by the man's arms.

      The man nodded, adjusted the reins in his hand, and seemed to enjoy the feeling of holding her.

      Duan Wu continued to fabricate, "Our family has been ruling the island for more than ten years, but those damned government troops wiped us out! Then I was sold as a slave to the government... So, I hate the government to the bone. My master and his people are up ahead. I can lead the way for you... Oh, it's really a pity this time. What a shame!"

      The man's eyes seemed to be questioning. His long and curled eyelashes cast a faint golden shadow on his nose.

      Duan Wu said, "When we passed by Agate Beach, we encountered a pile of corpses, probably your opponents or allies. My master is cunning. Before reaching Eagle Pass, he ordered the main force to take the money and beautiful women and go ahead on the main road. Only a few of us had to take the side road with him. Master has a sick mind; he believes his old lover's soul is lingering in these mountains, so he wanted us to accompany him to take a walk. Except for the pearls in my hands, there's nothing valuable left... Isn't it a pity?"

      The masked man nodded and glanced at the pearls in Duan Wu's hands.

      She stared at him and said, "Please, take the necklace first, don't let your brothers go on a fruitless trip. Although these pearls that a little slave like me can play with might not be very valuable, it's still a small token of goodwill from me to all the gangster brothers in the world."

      She looked at the masked man, but her heart was thinking of her dead father, her distant mother, those big eyes, and tears welled up involuntarily.