4. Chapter Nine (Spencer's POV)

"I have to give credit to you for being bold enough to face the woman you offended under 48 hours ago!" Patience says as I sit down and she hands me a Gatorade.

"Relax on me, okay? You make it sound like I committed a crime or something." I reply.

"I didn't plan any of this today, P! It just happened!"

With a roll of her eyes and a kiss of her teeth, she gives me more attitude than I can handle right now.

"Just admit you were wrong! You wrong about the book. And we're wrong for coming here tonight." She insist and I take a deep breath before replying.

"Like I told you earlier, my mom left her book and I brought it down here for her."

"Even after I told you to stay away?" She says with sass.

"Yeah, but I don't regret coming because I would've never gotten to see just how stunning Olivia Baker is in person." I admit.

"I wonder what she thinks about you," Patience says sarcastically.

"I don't know, for real. But it was definitely something about that look in her eyes that had me stuck." I admit and she laughs.

"So you mean it's just another day in Spencer James world?"

"Nah, it was different this time—— I swear!"

"Well did you, at least, apologize? You know she's big on accountability! It's number three in her book——take all accountability for the things we can control."

I roll my eyes. "Here you go with this book shit again, P! I'll read it soon."

"See? No accountability whatsoever!" She reiterates.

Even with a $17 million dollar NFL deal, ten endorsements, and a signature Nike cleat in production, Patience still treats me like we're those same kids playing on a swing set in Crenshaw. And that's why I love her. She keeps me grounded.

"I spent like an hour running around for this book. And I gave her a jersey. Who's not taking accountability?" I ask and she sighs.

"Now between four years of Crenshaw High School English classes and the school of Mrs. Grace James, you know damn well accountability isn't a synonym for material things or money. And I'm sure you that jersey wasn't just for her benefit. I just know you wrote your number on it." She responds and I laugh because she's not wrong about the number.

"Of course I wrote my number on it." I say and she laughs.

"I bet you she didn't do the same in that book she signed." She comments as she opens the book and begins to read it out loud.

Thank you for coming to see me today. Hope you enjoy the book.

P.S. I accept your apology.
Bygones are bygones.

- Olivia Baker

I smirk at the message from Olivia before closing the book.

"See! She forgives me!" I say and Patience rolls her eyes.

"Well that makes one of us! I only forgive if it comes with a meal," She responds and I look at my watch and shake my head. "C'mon, I want Freddy's for dinner. You can get one of those nasty ass vegan burgers."

She grabs her things to leave. "I'll have to take a raincheck. I have plans tonight." I tell her truthfully.

"Didn't you just say you like Olivia? I can't keep up." She slurs and I shrug.