John Shelby

Y/N grabbed the hand of her heavily pregnant, new sister-in-law as she skipped around the fire, squealing with excitement, in an attempt to calm her down. She smiled, praying Ada would wear herself out soon, trying to make eye contact with her new husband over the top of her head in attempt to beg for his help, but he was too busy drinking with his brothers.

"Come on Ada, love, let's have a sit down, ey?" she asked as Aunt Polly and Tommy approached the two of them, nodding in agreement at Y/N's words. "I think you need a break Ada," Tommy added. 

"Come and look, Y/N. Come and look at the family you've joined. Come and look at the man who runs it. Chooses his brother's wives for them," Ada spat in her elder brother's direction and Y/N's eyes widened in horror. "He hunts his own sister down like a rat and he tries to kill his own brother-in-law! And now he won't even let me have a fսcking dance! Not even at a fսcking wedding!"

John came to Y/N's side, wrapping an arm around his new wife's waist, pressing a kiss to her forehead.

"Ada, that's enough, come on love," Y/N said, holding her hand back out for Ada who had started to pant. She shot a worried glance to John, who furrowed his eyebrows at his sister, and to Polly, whose eyes widened considerably.

"John, get a chair..." she whispered to her husband before taking Ada's hand, no longer giving her a choice. Polly did the same, taking Ada's other hand, looking up in horror just seconds later - "holy shit... water."

***

John sat anxious in the pub, his new wife tending to his sister in the house on Watery Lane.

"I should go..." he mumbled slurring his words, his brothers looked to him confused, "it's my wedding night, I should be with Y/N. I want to be with Y/N."

Arthur laughed and slapped his little brother on the shoulder, Tommy smirking at the two, "you don't want to be around women when there's a baby being born, lad."

John nodded and laughed, "you're right mate," and cheered again as the barmaid, Grace, entered the room with more booze.

***

Y/N wiped her brow, entering the living room, giving Ada and Freddie some peace with their newborn son. John lay slumped on the sofa, snoring loudly. Y/N couldn't help but laugh at him, mud on his hands and knees from where he'd clearly fallen over on his way home. She smiled to herself, thinking how lucky she had been that it was John her parents had accepted as her husband - he was rather handsome and very sweet.

She sat beside him, pushing his blade-lined hat from his head, before stroking his head. He hummed appreciatively, opening his arms to her. "You've got a nephew," she whispered, kissing his stubbled chin. He smiled, nestling his head on top of hers - hoping soon it would be their child their family were celebrating.

"He's beautiful, John," she placed a hand on his chest, sliding her fingertips just under the gap between buttons to feel his soft skin.

"Our babies will be beautiful-er," he smirked, tightening his grip on her. 

She blushed, giggling.

"I can't wait to find out."