Chapter 30

Simon

I tugged on the cloak for what had to be the hundredth time. Enola had fused her scales into my once-trusty cloak, and now the extra weight caused it to keep settling awkwardly over my shoulders. She had also fused two scales together over the clasp of the cloak, and now that brushed against my neck at unpredictable times when I moved. The whole thing was annoying.

And on top of the scales, Enola had used another spell to make the whole garment pink. My once-drab cloak that blended into crowds was now the same bright, light-red color as the scales she had added. There was no chance that anyone would fail to notice me immediately, or forget about me after I had left.

The dragon said the cloak was also enchanted to keep me dry in the rain, as well as keep me cool during the midday heat. It was also softer than it had been before, and actually felt nice when it brushed against my arms.

But it was pink.

The soldiers had all treated me with the usual professional respect to my face as I had left Enola and Cess and sought out Captain Mason, but I caught hints of amused grins as I asked for directions, and I know I heard chuckles and laughs as soon as I was out of sight. I had known riders wore dragon scales, and that having to wear them would be part of being a rider... but I was also just as sure that Enola had done that on purpose, for no other reason but to annoy me. Even the comfort spells had probably just been done to make sure I had no excuse to take it off.

I sighed outside of the tent I had been told Captain Mason was using, preparing myself for the mockery I was certain waited for me. I had survived all the other soldiers I had met on the way. I could survive this meeting, too.

Besides. I was a rider now. Laughing at me meant not just ridiculing me, but also ridiculing Enola. Who was grumpy and temperamental even by dragon standards. Mason would do well to respect me, unless he wanted to risk offending her.

...though that 'threat' was meaningless, since I was almost certain Enola wanted him to be laughing at me.

I shook my head and folded back the tent flap. "Captain Mason?"

"Come in."

I slipped into the tent and took a quick look around the makeshift office. Mason was seated behind a simple desk and seemed to be engrossed in scribbling on a stack of papers. "Sorry to bother you – is this a good time?"

The older man nodded absently and waved towards one of the simple chairs inside the tent. "Certainly; have a seat. What can I do for you, Sim..." He finally looked up from his papers. I saw the exact moment his eyes landed on the pink scales of my cloak, and knew he was swallowing a laugh. "So. Not a rider, you say."

"It's only a recent development." I pulled the simple chair closer to Mason's desk and sat down in it, brushing at the itching clasp at my neck as I did.

"Oh, of course, of course." The smirk and knowing gleam in Mason's eyes mocked me.

"It is. It just happened earlier today."

"Yes, yes, as you say. Far be it from me to question the honor and word of a dragon rider." Mason continued to grin – and I swear I could feel a sense of smug satisfaction that felt like it came from Enola, even though she was back in the other tent with Cess. Mason sat back in his chair and continued to grin at me. "So, what can I do for you, Rider Simon?"

I sighed, even as I felt that vague smug sensation grow stronger. At least Enola was enjoying her fun. Hopefully it would make her easier to deal with later. "Mostly I've just come to say thank you. Enola and Cess are resting, but Enola wanted me to express her thanks for your help. Letting them stay here while Cess recovers, the food and water you're giving them, your healer's help. She appreciates it."