A Dove and An Olive Branch

When the rest of his siblings returned, they didn't seem very happy. It was apparent that they had figured out that the Menma that was working with them wasn't the real thing. If the way Katsuki and Yoshie glared at him from the corner of their eyes, or how Akihiko seemed to twirl a bone needle around his fingers. The true selling point was when Shouta smiled at him. It was a perfect, fake smile. The kind he wore when they had first met him, he only reverted back to his old ways when he was really upset. Like he had his reasons, it wasn't because he didn't want to help on the bridge. Other things just needed his attention. That's all.

Inari wasn't at the table for dinner. Menma kinda wishes he was there, he still owed the kid an apology after all. Kiba was shoving food into his mouth, though much slower this time. He must have learned his lesson from the last time. Good for him.

"So how was training? Bet it's more exciting than building a bridge." Yoshie slurped some of the noodles from her bowl.

"It was fine. Apparently walking up trees had proven to be a more taxing exercise than we first anticipated." Shino pulls down his collar low enough to feed himself.

"Speak for yourself!" Kiba swallows whatever food was still in his mouth, before barking his offense.

Mio spoke into her meal. "Need I remind you that you spent most of the time nursing your rear. With the amount of times you've fallen on it, it's a surprise that you can still sit on it."

"Hey! What's your problem?!"

"That's enough." Kakashi's voice was low, threatening even. "You can argue some other time."

Kiba growled but quiet down. "Fine." Mio only shrugged and returned to her meal. It was like nothing had happened.

Yoshie blinked. "Okay. Lovely."

"Hey. Do you wanna join me for a late night stroll?" Menma had to clear things out with his siblings, there was nothing worse than getting the silent treatment from them.

"Is it safe for you to be out at this hour?" Shino questioned. "Gato's men are still walking about."

"We can handle ourselves. Been doing it for years. We may not be shinobi but we know how to stand up for each other. Safety in numbers." Noriaki smiled, he always had that charming smile. It could fool anyone.

"Well, be safe."

"We will. Be back in a bit." The eight of them waved as they stepped out the door.

"Okay." Sakura swung her leg. They had all found a clearing surrounded by tall trees. Most walked up them, however Gaara and Naruto climbed up them with a squirrel-like grace. "So what did you wanna talk about?"

"First things first. Sorry for ditching you guys. I sent a clone to be me for a day, I swear that I had my reasons."

Sasuke rolled his eyes. "And they were?"

"They went training. I had to take advantage. Kakashi wouldn't always be alone, especially with that one around." They knew exactly who he was talking about. "I needed to get that message to him." Gaara placed a finger over his lips, the universal sign to quiet down. His ears twitched. "You hear something?"

He nodded, pointing towards the east. "Sounds like someone is setting down camp. They came from the border."

"And let me guess, they seem to be heading towards the house?"

"Yes." Crap. "It could be nothing but I think we all know that it's wishful thinking." It was. Tazuna, Tsunami, Inari, and anyone that had any kind of connection to the bridge and its completion, had a target on their neck. And yes, they had bounties on their backs too but they weren't innocent people just trying to survive.