Chapter 3

Back to the 1700's

"Are you ready?" Cu glanced over at Cassie who was sitting on the stump watching him intently. He winked at her, smiling when her face broke into a smile.

Cu took aim. His heart had the original spike as he pulled the bowstring taught. But as he was trained he slowly brought it back under control. The arrow was notched in a beautiful bow. With the target in sight, he released the arrow. A slight smile tugged at the corner of his mouth. He knew the aim was true and wasn't surprised when the arrow hit the bullseye. Of course, the target was only a hundred yards away. The fifteen-year-old boy would have been more surprised if he had missed the bullseye.

Cu lowered the longbow and, leaning against it, looked at the five twenty-year-olds who had challenged him in the first place.

"I do believe my arrow is dead center, knocking yours out," Cu said. His demeanor was laid back and though his words claimed his victory, his attitude was not one of arrogance. Samuel had taught him that someone skilled didn't need arrogance. Arrogance was a cover for lack of skill.

There was a mumble of discontent by the men. They knew that Cu was good at the longbow. His reputation had been spread through much of the town. But he was only fifteen and had only been using the longbow for five years. The men had been trained on the longbow since they were eight. They had built up the much-needed upper body strength and muscles needed to handle the longbow including the 150 pounds needed to draw it.

"Cu! Cu! You won again." Cassie raced up the hill carrying with her his arrow that had hit the bullseye. She laughed as she handed the arrow back to him. "I knew you could do it."

"All for you, Cassie lass," he said in a slight Irish brogue, which he liked to add because he knew Cassie enjoyed it.

Cu smiled at the thirteen-year-old. He had still not outgrown his desire to show off for her. He tapped her nose with the feather of his arrow before putting it back in his quiver.

"You're the best archer in the world, Cu," Cassie insisted. "Better than William Tell even."

Cassie's father had often told her about the exploits of William Tell. His stories included that it was one of his ancestors who had made a bow for Tell. Cassie had always found William Tell fascinating. She made her dad tell her every story about William Tell, but her favorite was the one where William Tell shot the apple off his son's head. Cassie had asked her dad nearly every night to tell her the story. He was her greatest hero until she met Cu, then William Tell was only someone that Cu could overpass constantly.

One of the men, Philip, reached over and ran his hand down Cassie's hair, pausing for a moment, he took a handful and brought it to his nose to inhale deeply.

"You're a pretty girl," he said, slipping his hand around her waist.

Cu tensed and gripped his bow tight to keep his fist from landing on Philip's face. Using his free hand, Cu pulled Cassie away from Philip's roaming hand.

"Come on, Cas, we have to get back to the shop. Your father asked me to finish some of the bows needed for today."

Cu turned to the men. "I believe that I've won the bet."

Philip, the leader of this small pack, stepped forward. "Double or nothing."

Cu shook his head. "I do not have time to beat you again."

Philip snatched Cassie's hand and pulled her back towards him. "Then I'll keep the girl."

Cu saw the other men step forward to protect Philip from Cu's reaction. And Cu would have reacted. He saw the shock and the instant terror that covered her face when she attempted to pull free from Philip who only held her tighter.