10: new promises

Lala toyed with the strap on her brace while sitting at the table with Monica

Lala toyed with the strap on her brace while sitting at the table with Monica. Carter was standing at a window nearby and watching out to see who would return first. She was not built for being undercover, especially if he starts digging on her. As much as she wanted to help Brian and Rome she felt like she'd crack under pressure.

Monica clicked through the profiles built for Rome, Brian and herself. "Juvy record for popping cars. Two years in J.D. and another year for aiding and abetting an armed robbery."

"He's clean, sweetheart." Lala snapped her gum, a fake southern twang to her voice.

"He's clean, dirty but clean." Monica confirmed with a twinkle in her eyes. She knew the other woman was interested in Brian. Lala saw the looks she gave him, the same looks that Mia had been giving him last year.

Carter turned to the two ladies, "Monica, I'd like to hear about Veronica's file."

Lala's gum chewing faltered a beat before she shrugged and sat up a bit more. "I'm an open book, darlin'."

An amused chuckle came from Carter and he turned the monitor to himself so that he could read off of it. "Hm, Veronica Leigh Spilner. Twenty one years old, based out of Jacksonville, served four years at Orange County for...auto theft and armed robbery. Awfully young to be causing that much havoc."

She shrugged and gives a cocky smirk. "What can I say, I really liked the car. Besides if the guy I was running for never flipped on me - I would've been in the clear."

"Say I have you do a run for me for an undisclosed amount of money. What's to stop you from flipping on me?" He asks while narrowing his eyes at her.

Lala leaned forward, the cocky smile still on her face. "We just keep our business ours, sweetheart."

Carter grinned in a masochistic way. "I like you." He looked at Monica. "I like her. She stays even if her guys don't get back first."

Excited clapping and gum popping coming from Lala was the only sound as Monica and Carter locked eyes with each other. He was mentally daring her to challenge him while she was trying to find a way to keep him from crossing boundaries. They wanted her close to Carter but not that close.

"Verone." One of the men from earlier stepped inside the room, "Her two are back."

Carter stood and held a hand out for Monica, which she took to stand, before then holding his hand out to Lala. She hesitated before taking his hand and standing up, her brace making a slight squeak. "Now that is a story I'd love to hear about."

"Not a fun story, unfortunately." Lala cleared her throat and followed Carter and Monica outside.

"Take her to the pool, Monica with me." Carter ordered before walking away. The same bald man, Enrique, led her to the poolside and pulled a chair out for her before helping her sit.