two

On September 2, 2013, Violetta was pronounced dead.

EARLIER THAT DAY
The ambulance raced through the city, its blaring sirens cutting through the air as it sped towards the hospital. Inside, Violetta lay on a stretcher, surrounded by the urgent movements of paramedics.

German clutched his phone, desperately trying to get information from the paramedics.

"Is she going to be okay?" he pleaded.

The paramedic, focused on Violetta, replied, "We're doing everything we can. We'll update you as soon as we know more."

As they reached the hospital, the doors swung open, and the medical team swiftly wheeled her through the hospital corridors, navigating the maze of hallways. German followed closely, his worry etched across his face.

Doctors and nurses, alerted by the urgency, moved aside to make way for the incoming patient. The hospital staff, with practiced precision, cleared a path as the paramedics rushed Violetta towards the emergency room.

"I need to be with her. Please, let me go in," German implored as they reached the entrance of the emergency room.

One of the doctors, a compassionate look in his eyes, gently placed a hand on German's shoulder. "Sir, you'll have to wait outside for now."

German, torn between anxiety and a desperate need to be by Violetta's side, reluctantly nodded. "Please, do everything you can for her."

Inside the room, doctors and nurses worked feverishly, their focus on stabilizing Violetta.  Machines beeped, and medical instruments hummed, creating a symphony of urgency as they worked to stabilize Violetta.

As German waited outside, every passing moment felt like an eternity. He tried to absorb the gravity of the situation, pacing anxiously and occasionally glancing towards the closed door, yearning for any sign of hope.

After what seemedAfter what seemed like an agonizing wait, the hospital doors swung open, and a doctor approached German with a solemn expression. The weight of impending tragedy hung in the air.

"Mr. Castillo, I'm sorry to inform you that we did everything we could, but Violetta..." The doctor hesitated, choosing his words carefully. "Violetta didn't make it."

German's heart sank, and for a moment, the world seemed to stop. He couldn't comprehend the reality of the words he had just heard. "No, no, there must be some mistake. How did this happen? What went wrong?" German's voice trembled with a mix of grief and disbelief.

The doctor, with empathy in his eyes, shook his head. "I'm truly sorry for your loss, Mr. Castillo. We did our best to resuscitate her, and we couldn't bring her back. As for the exact cause, we're still investigating on what exactly happened to her. It's a complex situation."

German's mind raced, trying to process the sudden and devastating turn of events. "But she was fine earlier today. How can this happen so suddenly?"

The doctor sighed, recognizing the profound shock and grief in German's eyes. "Sometimes, medical emergencies can be unpredictable. We will conduct a thorough examination to understand what transpired, but I want to emphasize that it might take some time to get conclusive answers."

In the midst of the heart-wrenching conversation, the reality of Violetta's passing began to settle in. German's legs felt weak, and he leaned against the corridor wall for support. The world around him blurred as he grappled with the enormity of the loss.

The doctor offered a comforting hand on German's shoulder. "I understand this is incredibly difficult, Mr. Castillo. Please take all the time you need. We have grief counselors available to support you through this."

As German tried to absorb the shocking news, the hospital staff discreetly prepared to notify Violetta's friends and family, recognizing the need for a compassionate and delicate approach in sharing the heartbreaking news.