Chapter 2: Love, Dreams, and an Orange Popsicle by the Goan Shore

April 24 2018,

The plane descended, and my family and I embarked on a short road trip to our beach house in the southern part of Goa. Not much of a party person, I appreciated nature and calmness. I was glad my dad chose a house in the south part of Goa, right beside Tristan's. Taylor Swift's "You Are in Love" played as I opened the car window, revealing the lush landscape of Goa unfolding beneath us. The vibrant greenery, the azure sea, and the golden sands signaled the beginning of summer. Excitement bubbled within me, and the tropical air wrapped around me like a warm embrace. The familiar scent of salt and sea lingered, promising adventures that awaited on the Goan shores. The anticipation built with every passing kilometer. "You Are in Love" continued playing, and I found myself constantly checking in the mirror, fixing my hair. This mix of thrill, happiness, and nervousness all at once.

As we arrived, the waves welcomed us with their crashing symphony, and the sky was painted in shades of orange and pink. The beach house, filled with precious memories, stood witness to the tales of summers gone by. Tristan's family greeted us warmly; Aunt Jane gave me a giant, smiley hug, and Uncle Jack threw in a friendly high-five. The air buzzed with conversation; Ben and my sister were already in the midst of a playful argument. Amidst the lively scene, my eyes were searching for him. Where was he? I couldn't find him.

Curious, my mom casually asked Aunt Jane where Tristan was. To my surprise, Aunt Jane shared that he'd picked up a part-time gig this summer at Peter's Shack. What? He used to be busy playing cricket every summer, and now this job? Trust me, there were many times I chided cricket because of the attention it got from him. I guess this happens with every Indian girl at one point in time; we all feel envy and scold this cricket.

My favorite spot in the house is my room balcony, with Tristan's house on one side and glimpses of the beach peeking through coconut trees on the other. The waves danced back and forth, and the gentle breeze played with my hair. It was a stunning scene that framed my house, his house, and the beach — a canvas where the moments we shared came rushing back, brief but unforgettable.

The question of whether to hit the shack or not echoed relentlessly in my mind. After pondering for so long, impatience got the better of me. I swiftly changed into a pink maxi dress paired with white half shoes, allowing my hair to cascade freely. Butterfly earrings dangled delicately, accompanied by the Souvenir of Love necklace, and a butterfly bracelet adorned my wrist. With the anticipation of our imminent meeting, every step towards the beach felt like a journey towards happiness and freedom.

 With the anticipation of our imminent meeting, every step towards the beach felt like a journey towards happiness and freedom

Upon reaching the beach, a row of shacks stretched before me, and the realization hit that I hadn't inquired about the specific shack where Tristan was working. How foolish of me! I hurriedly began visiting each shack, scanning the faces for his familiar features. In my haste, a man approached me and boldly asked if I would join him for a drink. I politely declined, explaining that I was searching for someone. He insisted, revealing that it was a dare for a game of truth or dare with friends, adding a bet to the mix.