【Four】

A/N: this is a long one guys 5.3k words.

✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦

The mandalorian had awoken before we exited hyperspace. I had fallen asleep in my seat at some point while I watched the pretty lights in front of me.

Unknown to me, the mandolorian had tilted his head to check on me and saw my sleeping form with the kid who was already awake and staring up at him. He reached out a hand without thinking and stoped just before the bangs in my face. Something about the simple act, eating at him inside. But she looked too pretty to be sharing this dump of a ship with him. Too pretty to even want to do this with him. But here she was. He felt something inside himself for her but he didn't understand it. Not yet. He didn't know if ever would honestly.

Very slowly, he retracted his hand and settled for it on her shoulder, shaking it gently to wake her up.

"Wake up. We've got almost an hour before we're out of hyperspace." He sat down in his seat.

I groaned sleepily and stretched. Attempting to ease the stiff muscles from poorly choosing to fall asleep here. I looked at the mandolorian who of course, watched every movement.

"I knew it was a bad idea to sleep here." I admitted rubbing my face and looking down at the child, "Once this one fell asleep I didn't want to wake him." I took a finger and rubbed his big ear softly.

"Don't let him stop you. Once he's out, he's gone."

I hummed. There's was something so domestic about those words for some reason. I looked back at mando with enthusiasm, "I also feel awful about calling him kid or the child. He's got to have a name. I thought about searching his mind but I didn't want to intrude."

Learning the kids name was also something that interested the mandolorian," Ask him." He shrugged.

I smirked looking down at the little green creature, "would it be alright if I learned your name? Is that ok little one? Just a peek into your mind?"

The baby cooed and tilted his head in thought. After a moment he gave the smallest of nods. I held out my hands for him to take and he did. One hand was grabbed by one of his tiny little three-fingered hands.

I closed my eyes and felt his life energy through the force. He showed me just a snippet of some grand building made of beige colored stone. It was like I was seeing the world through his eyes. A single name being called to him 'Grogu'.

I gasped and released him from my mental searching. I looked to mando with a wide smile.

"Well what is it?" I had his full attention as he eagerly looked between me and Grogu.

"His name is Grogu."

"Grogu?"

At his voice the kid looked at him with his ears perked. Then he looked back up at me.

The mandolorian called his name once more with confidence, "Grogu."

Once again the child looked at him expectantly.

Mando shook his head and chuckled, "that's great!" Then he looked at me and spoke with a semblance of hesitance, "you can read his mind?"