The First Boss

A month had passed since that fateful day. When everyone's world got all twisted, leaving them trapped in a castle in the sky. Since then, 2000 poor souls came to an abrupt and tragic end.

Some, by dumb luck. Others by pure stupidity. I mean, really, who just stands in fire?!

Anyways, that didn't bother the kid none. He only cared about one thing, and one thing only.

Himself.

'Cause in a game of life or death, you either live... or you die.

"Oh wow! What brilliant insight! It's so deep, it wraps right back around to being stupid."

The kid ranted at no one, it slowly dawning on him just how lonely he was.

"Wait, what was that?"

He asked the sky, like a preacher to his silent gods.

"What gods?! What are you even yapping about?! It's all bullshit metaphors with you."

He cried, not knowing the difference between a simile and a metaphor. The minuscule size of his brain dwarfed only by the smallness of his d-

"Shut up already!" Someone yelled.

I look up and see a few of the other players staring at the one man performance I was giving. Not talking to anyone for a month is bound to do that to you, I suppose.

Taking my leave, I enter a small cafe. Plopping down in a booth in the back, my menu automatically opens to show me what they're selling here. After ordering myself a coffee and some egg toast, I lean my head against the wall.

"You're looking moody as ever."

I look to my left and see a girl standing over me. She smirks and slides into the chair across from me.

 She smirks and slides into the chair across from me

"Should I know you?" I ask.

"No, but I've seen you around. You've been turning heads." She says, "I'm Eve, by the way."

'Yeah, no thanks to me acting like a schizophrenic in public...' I think to myself.

"Is there a point to this? Because I'd rather eat in peace and quiet." I take a fork and start fidgeting with it as my food is delivered.

Eve smiles and leans forward, hand on her chin. She gives me a quick look over and lets out a 'hmm'.

"I'd like you to join my group, we're pretty friendly so you won't feel unwelcome. We also know a few good hunting spots that other players don't know about." She offers, "So, what do you say?"

She... wants me to join her party? I think back to Jose, and... He was too green, so is Eve and her friends. There was a spot I used to grind in during the Beta. If this is how she expects to entice me, then I need to set her straight.

I finish my toast and coffee, being as slow as possible in order to emphasize just how uninteresting I found this conversation. With a final gulp, I give my answer.