6. Humans Can't Be Trusted

"Are you making him uncomfortable again?" Came Fubuki's voice, ending the conversation and leaving all of that behind us. For once, I was glad for their protege's presence. Fubuki Yasuhiro. A prodigy who had struck such fear into his parents that they couldn't wait to get rid of him. No one knows what they saw - what he did - the family as a whole refuses to talk about it. Sora kinda just took the kid under his wing and never looked back.

"In my defence, Phoenix started it this time." Sora shrugged, brushing the blame off of him. He didn't want to ruin that perfect image of him. I still find that ridiculous. He's the most imperfect being out there. But, I guess, in a way, that's what makes him so perfect. The narrative somehow fits this crazy story. We'll see how long it lasts.

"So this is the great Phoenix? She's beautiful." He looked at her in awe, and I couldn't help but agree. She is a sadistic bastard at the best of times, but her beauty is unrivalled. I have no idea why she's always been so ashamed of it. "Can I touch her?"

"If you don't mind getting your hand burned, sure. Be my guest." I gave him a small smile, and Sora kicked me underneath the table. I scowled at him before turning to Phoenix. "Can you get rid of your flames? You're apparently a statue to be admired."

Another kick, and I just rolled my eyes. It was true. After a minute or two, the flames that usually engulfed her were now gone. And so was all her beauty that we had learned to love; any piece of admiration now burned to pieces. Now you can understand why she hates our kind so much. The scars and broken feathers that littered her body were hideous, and a result of us trying to control a God who had initially wanted nothing but peace. It resulted in unbridled rage and the death of so many. Now we have to offer her a sacrifice whenever she gets bored with her old plaything. I'm waiting for the day she gets tired of me. I'm surprised she's lasted this long. From what I've heard, the most she's held interest in a person was a year and a half. Sixteen years later, I'm still stuck with her. I don't understand why, and I'm too afraid to ask. I know I'm going to get some twisted response, and with good reason, considering what my family has done to her.

"What... happened to you?" Fubuki asked as he made his way over to her, his hand trailing over every scar he could reach. He was a good soul. You could sense the sorrow he felt once he saw it all. And it was a normal response. It was horrific to look at, and not for the faint of heart. I don't know how she brings herself to ever get rid of her flames. I would hate the memories associated. I would despise myself. I would be scared it would happen again once I became vulnerable. We're not the same, though. I'm not as brave. I've never had to be, though, so I wouldn't know.

"Humans. They can't be trusted." Her voice wavered, and I almost felt bad for her. Three hundred and forty-two attempts to take control of her. Two were close to succeeding. One was led by my ancestors. One by Sora's. How she stands in a room with us without going crazy is beyond me. She has more control than I ever will. Or maybe it's acceptance - the past should be left in the past, for the most part. Who knows? It's almost like fate has brought us back together.

"Then why do you trust us?" Sora asked, and he raised a good point. Why would she do this just because I asked? The only time she's opened up to me was in an attempt to scare me - or so she says - which means this is just a whole new level of trust. I'm flattered, but it feels like I'm missing something. Like I'm losing her. A final goodbye. I'm being ridiculous. She wouldn't leave me now. We're stuck together for life, whether I like that or not. But that's fine with me. I think I'd be lost without her.

"Why do I trust you?" She laughed as if the idea of trusting anyone was ludicrous. She was right - we can't be trusted at the best of times. But that doesn't explain much. "Because two of you are too pure to do anything and the third is living his life in fear."

Her eyes fell on me, and I looked away from her. Sora squeezed my hand, giving me a small smile and I let out a small sigh, trying to dismiss the fear within me, but she was right. Fear is all I know. And it is all I will ever have. "Hey, Ankoku?"

I looked over to Fubuki, who had a curious look in his eyes. But there was something else, hiding in the depths of his eyes. I forgot that our little protege had a dark secret. I wonder if we'll be able to figure it out in our stay here. "What is it?"

"Did you know about this?" He asked, and I nodded. I found out quite quickly, considering she made it out to be such a taboo subject. It was strange. But I learned to ignore the nagging feeling that something was wrong.

"I had queried her about a few things when she first became my partner and ended up finding out the full story without meaning to." It was weird feeling like equals at the very beginning. She was supposed to be this mighty God, and yet she had been so vulnerable in front of me. Of course, the power dynamic changed relatively quickly, but for a moment there was a chance I could have rebelled. A moment I could have broken free from my chains. I don't know why I didn't. I think I just had a little too much empathy for her. I was once a good kid. It's a shame it ended up like this. I ended up like a monster.

"So why would a God put herself on the level of a human she's only just met?" The two narrowed their eyes at each other, and Sora kicked me underneath the table. A warning to make sure she doesn't get out of line and crush what little soul the child has left. I don't have that kind of power, though. I never did.

"I can understand why your parents were so eager to get rid of you," Phoenix said, but there was a lack of resentment. There didn't need to be any resentment. She knew the damage she had done already. Another kick. At this stage, I think this counts as harassment. Or an abusive relationship. It must count for something.

"Touche. Hey, Sora, can we get training started?" He was unfazed by this. It must be something he heard on the daily. Normality can numb what should have hurt. What a shame; another one's been lost.

"Give it about five minutes. Fuji should be back by then." Sora said, looking at his watch. I still don't understand why they shortened his last name. It's not like either name is hard to say or anything. Masaaki Fujimura. The man had always confused me as is, completely unrelated to his name that is. I never know whether I can trust him. He says everything he does is for the people, but it just seems so fake. What do I know, though?