Takeover

It is 1975, and rhythm guitarist and vocalist Joan Jett and lead vocalist and blonde bombshell Cherie Currie of the rock band The Runaways find themselves caught in a pickle on the streets of L.A. when, suddenly, the bright sunny California skies become overrun with paratroopers wearing gray urban camouflage... to which Joan concludes that they must be foreign soldiers conducting a surprise invasion. Joan and Cherie are on their way to their favorite hangout spot, the Sugar Shack, an all teenage nightclub where you have to show your ID to prove you are under 18, so they can meet up with the rest of their band: lead guitarist Lita Ford, bassist Jackie Fox, and drummer Sandy West. Joan and Cherie rush to the Sugar Shack in the shade as the paratroopers blot out the sun. As they hide from the enemy soldiers, Joan and Cherie stumble upon their bandmates and familiar friends where they must work together to survive at the Sugar Shack or face the end of The Runaways.

This is a purely fictional story not intended to convey any special meaning with all these random events other than to be an abstract metaphor of the wild nature of unregulated 1970s society which, when compared to today, seems as crazy as the Wild West or a hypothetical Soviet ground invasion of the U.S. during the Cold War like as portrayed in Red Dawn (1984) and The Runaways song Takeover from their last album in 1978. The characters' personalities are meant to be comedic, distinct, and memorable, and their motivations are not representative of being accurate to anything in real life.

Girl: Guys! It's Cherie!

Crowd: [flocks to Cherie like pigeons] Cherie!

Cherie: Hey, guys. Good to see you.

Boy: Hey Joanie!

Crowd: [flocks to Joan like pigeons] Joan!

Joan: Hey.

Jackie and Sandy: Hey guys!

Joan and Cherie: Hey!

Lita: [angry tone] What's the deal with you guys? We've been here for hours! Where were you?

Cherie flinches and backs away, intimidated by Lita. Cherie hides half her body behind Joan.

Joan: We had some stuff to settle at the record label, Lita.

Lita: Well if Cherie hadn't come in late, we would've got done faster and you guys would've left earlier.

Cherie hunches her shoulders and hides more behind Joan.

Joan: You guys weren't on time, either. Let's be reasonable, Lita. Legal shit takes time. I was there all afternoon before you guys showed up.

Sandy: Hey Joan, you didn't even wear red to the photoshoot this morning like the rest of us!

Everyone looks at Joan who is wearing a white Sex Pistols shirt underneath a black leather jacket and blue bell bottom jeans.

Joan: I don't have any red clothes. I just have this [points to the red Santa hat she is wearing].

Cherie is wearing a red jumpsuit and also a Santa hat.

Jackie: Well, okay, we're here together now. That's all that matters.

Lita: Who's been parachuting into L.A.?! We saw them all over the sky!

Joan: I know the Russians are behind this shit.

Cherie: [steps forward from hiding behind Joan] I think they're planning a takeover scheme.

Cherie catches another blonde girl running over to her and the rest of the crowd around The Runaways. Initially hanging out by the juice bar and the Christmas tree, it was Cherie's identical twin sister, Marie Currie, running over to see them. Together, the sisters are the belles of the ball.