XIV | Sweetest Secret

"Finally! I thought you'd never wake up." Sage pulled her bonnet off, and her bundles came tumbling down her shoulders. "Don't be mad at me, but I went to the spa without you. You weren't up early enough."

"It's cool. I... I went last night 'cause you wouldn't get up." The back of Halle's head sank deeper into her pillow as she stretched. The morning sun hit the glittery snow outside magically, casting a yellowish glow into the room.

"Good! So we're even."

"Yup." She sat up, avoiding Sage's eyes in fear of her secret being exposed somehow. Guilt had transformed into good old paranoia, which was a million times worse.

Am I as bruised as I feel?

Soreness overtook the valley between her legs when she stood, triggering a flashback and making her smile involuntarily.

"It's funny, right?" Sage chuckled looking at her story. "I hadn't noticed either."

"Yeah." Halle nodded, oblivious to the topic, and teetered to the bathroom. She found herself wondering if she was walking normally. It had been a while since she'd had a night that wild.

Have I ever?

"Don't take all day, girl. I wanna check out that breakfast spot before the events start." Sage unrolled the cord from around her flat iron and squatted to plug it in. "And did you eat both of the cookies?"

"Yeah, my bad. I'll buy more." Halle twisted the knob to start the shower, setting it to the hottest temperature. The water was semi-painful.

She was unnerved about being out and about, hoping that she wouldn't run into Chiko again, at least not in front of others. She knew that she could pretend like nothing had happened, like she still barely knew him. Her relationship with Rowan had taught her to be an expert at pretending, at putting on an immaculate show.

But she didn't know if Chiko was a good actor like her, and his behavior would determine... well, everything.

Whether or not they'd make this a regular thing, or wash their hands with each other completely.

So she participated in the festivities with Sage, looking over her shoulder at every turn, seeking him out in the crowd as to prepare herself for it.

It being even just a sliver of interaction. A wink, a smile, a wave, a comment, whatever. Whenever.

But it would never come.

Chiko got off of his snowmobile after winning his race, smiling in the faces of a handful of beautiful women who adored men like him. Men who were daring, and charming, and so, so handsome.

Men that Halle loved to fantasize about.

These were women who saw all of the positive qualities that she saw in him. His dark eyes were intense as he took in their compliments, giving them each their own spotlight. It was the same stare that he used when she rode his dick, and that fact birthed a new emotion in her head.

Jealousy.

With an arm looped with her best friend's, she navigated through the mass of cheerers, hoping to get closer. She wanted just a few seconds of nonverbal communication with him, something to convey that last night had been just as amazing for him as it was for her. Anything, to let her know that he didn't regret what had transpired.

However, Chiko didn't even spare her a glance.

He and his brother disappeared with their mob of shameless fans into the building serving gourmet hot chocolate to warm up.