10. Nightbringers and Honeywitch Tea

"Forgive me. Please, come in, Castor." Silas opened the door wider for him.

"Thanks." Castor took a cautious step in, then allowed the door to close behind him.

"What was wrong with that owl?" Silas asked.

"I think it wanted to eat me." Castor bristled. "You mentioned zombie rats in your neighbor's yard, and I think I bumped into their owl friend. I was heading to visit Lucien before it swooped in my path."

Silas made his way into the bathroom to fetch his dad's first aid kit, then handed it over to Castor as he shrugged his white robe off. Blood stained his upper right sleeve.

"Let me do this in there." Castor gestured to the bathroom as he accepted the small kit. "I don't want to bleed all over your floor."

"Vampires aren't supposed to bleed much, right?" Seraphina tilted her head, brows furrowed.

"No, they're not." Castor groaned softly as he peeled his shirt off. A patchwork of teeth and claw marks marred his backside. The owl had left a gnarled gash on his shoulder, where blood and black venom slowly dripped from the wound.

"Gods." Silas clamped a hand over his mouth.

Castor fetched some wads of tissue paper and ran it under cold water before pressing it against his sticky skin. "I've endured worse."

"Do you think someone's resurrecting the dead again?" Seraphina asked.

"And this time they're creatively using animals?" Castor frowned, then winced as he applied ointment to his wound. "Maybe. Who do you think their target is? I don't remember Mr. Snowberry very well, but did he even seem peculiar?"

"He stayed indoors a lot, but he was always friendly whenever he spoke with me or my father," Silas replied.

"Doesn't he live alone?" Castor asked as he worked on bandaging his arm.

"Yeah, his daughter moved out when she got married last year." Silas stepped closer, gently taking the bandages from him. "Here, let me help."

"Thanks." Castor twitched his pointy ears.

"Why would Mr. Snowberry mess with dead things?" Seraphina wrinkled her nose. "He didn't have any pets, did he?"

"Not that I'm aware of." Silas shook his head.

"Maybe we could snoop around his place?" Seraphina suggested. "Since Castor's an official member of the Sanguine Council and I, within the Supernatural Council, we won't be breaking any laws. Technically."

"Castor can't enter his home," Silas pointed out. "And I have no right to investigate either."

"Why don't you check the place out yourself then, princess?" Castor scoffed. "Silas and I can stay guard so nobody sees you sneak in. And, vampires can enter homes once the owners are deceased, but I don't feel like risking it today."

"Fine." Seraphina straightened her posture, smoothing out the wrinkles in her robe. "I will, but don't call me princess." She glared. "Mother might be the Monarch of Marusticia, but that doesn't mean I'll follow in her footsteps."

"Right now?" Worry laced Silas's voice. "Castor was just attacked and Mr. Snowberry came back."

"Wait, his zombie came here?" Castor asked. "When?"

"Earlier. Don't worry, he's taken care of." Seraphina waved a dismissive hand. "He'll never come back."

Castor blinked. "Well, okay then."

Embarrassment crept through Silas's cheeks. He hadn't meant to let that slip about Mr. Snowberry, but Castor didn't seem too concerned about what the Supernatural Council thought.