prologue

# HER — PERCY JACKSON AND THE OLYMPIANS !

CHAPTER O
before everything.

THE SKY WAS DIM, the tree branches stretched out widely, and the sound of bushes shuffling against eachother filled the atmosphere.

"are you sure this is the right way?" i asked the boy next to me, grover.

"yes! this is the correct way." grover told me while looking around a bit.

"sooo..have any reason you're taking me here?" i looked at grover.

"no reason!" grover immediately avoided my question.

' weird..' i thought to myself but decided to shrug it off. i didn't really care that it was becoming dark in the forest and nor did i care if grover was planning on killing me.

i mean he wouldn't. i don't think..

while looking around, i heard a pair of other footsteps near us. the type of steps that an animal would make.

grover stopped in his tracks and started looking around quickly. "you heard that too, huh?" i said to him. "yeah..- i did." he agreed with me.

"let's hide." grover then grabbed my hand and led me behind a big scattered bush. we both kneeled until we could see the source of where those footsteps were coming from.

the sound became more and more apparent until i was able to decipher a large wolf-looking creature that stood very tall and muscular.

"grover, what the hell is that?" i whisper-shouted to him.

"shhhhhh!"

the monster then began to look around after hearing grover's loud shushing.

"sniff..sniff.." the creature then began to smell the ground.

"grover! are you not seeing what I'm seeing?! it's obviously coming in our direction." i shook him, trying my best to hold my composer.

"[name]! just wait!" grover huffed. "as your satyr..-"

"as my what." i looked at him crazy.

"oh." grover looked me dead in the eye.

"grover what are you talking about?" i looked at him with the same energy back.

"um..just ignore what i said. hahahah..ha..ha.." grover began to scratch his neck and look around.

"grover, i'm not messing with you," i said in a serious tone while grabbing his arm so he could look back at me again. "what do you mean you're a satyr? those don't even exist."

"well actually..they do. and you're talking to one right now." he began. "look [name], I've wanted to tell you for so long but i knew if i told you then you would be in great danger."

"great danger? in great danger of what exactly?" i asked him, beginning to feel worry consume my body.

"listen to me carefully," grover began. "you are a demigod [name]. i know that sounds crazy but you are."

"you're dropping this onto me now?!" i looked at him in shock. "i know. i know right now is very, very bad timing," grover apologized. "but this couldn't be kept a secret anymore longer."

"wait..so this whole thing about walking in the forest, does that have something to do with it too?" i began to put two and two together.

"yes. i'm taking you to camp half blood." grover admitted.

"camp what what now?" i blankly stared at him.

"camp half blood [name]. a camp where demigods like you can be safe and away from the dangers of the world," grover explained. "look, i'll tell you more later but right now we need to get out of here."

grover then got up and stretched his hand out to help me up too. i looked around to see that the creature from earlier had gone away and now was a good time to get away.

"right up ahead that hill over there is the barrier that separates camp half blood from here." grover pointed out. "let's go then." i told him.

right when me and grover were running up the hill, we heard stomping noises behind us. turning around while running, i see the wolf-looking creature from earlier running right behind us.

"GROVER! THAT THING FROM EARLIER IS RUNNING AFTER US!" my heart was beating so fast. not from the running but from the adrenaline pumping through my veins. or both? who knows.

"WE NEED TO KEEP ON RUNNING!" grover told me.

though, we weren't gonna make it if we kept on running. that's what i told myself and that is also what my gut was telling me too.

"GROVER ARE YOU SURE?" i asked him with genuine concern laced in my eyes.

"IF IM GONNA BE HONEST, NO." oh wow.

with gover also not knowing what to do in this situation, i decided to stick to my gut. while running, i headed straight into a pile of veins and branches that could surely get someone stuck.

"huff...huff...huff.." the wolf-like creature panted. it was getting tired.

right when the pile of veins and branches were in front of me, i jumped over them at the last second. the creature ran straight into them right after. "AWOOO!" the creature screamed in pain.

turning around, i see the wolf-like creature tangled in the veins and being stuck under the branches. i stared at the scene in front of me, admiring my work.

"what are you doing? kill it [name]!" grover yelled.

"huh?! kill it?!" i looked at him in surprise.

"yes! here." grover then threw me a knife that i caught swiftly so i could stab the wolf.

holding the knife in my hand while staring at the wolf, i stabbed it. i expected blood to come spurting out but i was wrong when i saw that the monster began to fade away into thin dust.

i turned around slowly after realizing everything that had just happened in the last thirty minutes.

"is this gonna happen all the time?" i asked gover while walking up to him.

"you tell me [name]." grover responded while patting my back.

we then both headed back up the hill to see the entrance of camp half blood straight ahead.

ꨄ␈