Chapter 4: Leaving the Comforts of Home

"I must go Bilbo." 

"But I don't get it Razi!" Razia sighed. She turned to the young hobbit. His eyes brimmed with tears and Bella stood at the doorway, arms crossed and a frown marring her features. Razia turned away and let out a sigh. 

"Let 'er go Bilbo. Ya can't expect her to stay until yer an old man. She's got to go...where are you going again?" Bungo called out from the foyer. 

Razia let a smirk slip, "I am going to the Blue Mountains Bungo." 

"Take me with you!" Bilbo demanded. "Bilbo." a stern Bella called out before Bungo could say anything. 

Razia turned to see a betrayed Bilbo and pleasantly suprised Bungo staring at Bella. She uncrossed her arms and handed Razia a pack, undoubtedly of good food for the journey. She hugged her  and pressed a motherly kiss to Razia's forehead. "You come visit you understand." Razia tearfully smiled and pulled her back for another hug. 

Bilbo walked with Razia to the tip of BagEnd, until Razia forcefully turned him back. "We'll see each other again, right?" Bilbo asked. 

"Yes Bilbo. We will." She promised. He smiled and stayed at the bridge until Razia was no longer in sight. 

Razia let out a sigh, she had a long trip ahead of her. She first needed to find a way to protect herself. In the Shire she had found she was surprisingly nimble, more than she used to be at least. Another gift from Mahal she supposed. She was first headed to Bree, a city of men on the outskirts of the Shire. There she would find weapons and tools for the road, a horse too perhaps, or a pony in her case. She needed to be prepared. 

On foot, she walked the entire day to get to Bree, thankfully her feet were not aching. 

Arriving at the Prancing Pony, Razia approached the worn wooden bar, where Yorel, the seasoned barkeeper, wiped down a glass with a cloth. The lively hum of patrons and the warm glow of lanterns created an atmosphere that was both inviting and bustling.

"Excuse me, Yorel," Razia began, her voice carrying a blend of determination and uncertainty. "I'm in need of weapons for my journey. Could you direct me to a skilled smithy? I seek quality craftsmanship to ensure I'm well-prepared for what lies ahead."

Yorel looked up, his eyes assessing Razia with a shrewd gaze. He paused in his cleaning, setting the glass down. "A journey, eh? Not many folks around here embark on such ventures. What kind of weapons are you looking for, miss?"

Razia considered her response, choosing her words carefully. "I need something reliable, a sturdy blade perhaps. And if there's a skilled smith who can provide insight on maintenance, that would be invaluable."

Yorel nodded knowingly. "Aye, I know just the place. Head down the main street until you reach Bree's central square. There's a smithy on the corner run by a man named Ealdred. He's known for his quality work. Tell him Yorel sent you, and he'll treat you right."

Gratitude filled Razia's expression as she thanked Yorel. "I appreciate your guidance. It's reassuring to know there are skilled craftsmen in Bree. And, if I may ask, any other advice for a traveler in these parts?"

Yorel leaned in, lowering his voice. "Keep your wits about you, especially in the darker corners of Bree. It's a lively town, but not everyone has the best intentions. Ealdred's a trustworthy fellow, but not everyone you meet will be. And, of course, enjoy the ale at the Prancing Pony before you leave. Best in Bree."

Razia smiled at Yorel's advice. "Thank you, Yorel. I'll heed your words. Perhaps I'll raise a toast before my departure. Farewell, and may your patrons be ever merry."

With a nod, Razia left the Prancing Pony, following Yorel's directions toward the skilled smithy that awaited her in Bree's central square. There, on the corner as promised, stood Ealdred's smithy, a modest yet inviting establishment with the rhythmic clang of metal against metal echoing from within. Razia pushed open the door, the crisp chime announcing her entrance.

Ealdred, a seasoned blacksmith with a grizzled beard, looked up from his workbench as the door swung open. "A traveler," he observed, wiping his hands on a cloth. "What brings you to my humble smithy, lass?"

Razia approached, a determined gleam in her eyes. "I seek a reliable blade for my journey. Yorel from the Prancing Pony mentioned you as a skilled craftsman."

Ealdred nodded approvingly. "Yorel sends word my way, does he? Well, let's see what I have for you." He walked to a rack of weapons, examining various blades before settling on a unique set near the edge of the Shire.

"These, my dear, are no ordinary swords," Ealdred explained, his eyes glinting with pride. "Double swords with a twist. Whip them just right, and they unhook to form a three-part curved blade. Deadly and versatile, perfect for someone on an adventurous journey."

Razia was captivated by the ingenuity of the design. "Impressive. How much for these?"

Ealdred pondered for a moment before settling on a fair price. "Three gold coins, and they're yours. A bargain for such finely crafted weapons."

Razia reached into her pouch and pulled out three gleaming gold coins, placing them on the counter. Ealdred gratefully accepted them, passing the double swords into her waiting hands. "May they serve you well on your journey, lass."

As a parting gesture, Ealdred pointed to a corner of the smithy where a spirited red-haired pony stood, adorned with a simple saddle. "For your travels, a reliable companion. Consider it a gift from one traveler to another."

Razia's eyes lit up with gratitude. "Thank you, Ealdred. You've been most generous."

Mounting the red-haired pony, Razia bid farewell to the skilled blacksmith and the lively town of Bree. With the double swords at her side and a newfound companion beneath her, she set off towards the Blue Mountains, her heart filled with anticipation for the adventures that awaited her beyond the familiar landscapes of the Shire. The rhythmic clatter of the pony's hooves against the cobblestone streets marked the beginning of a new chapter in Razia's extraordinary journey.