Timmy

"Mom! Mom! How much longer until we're there?!", Timmy whined from the back of the car.

I rolled my eyes. "Just a little longer sweetheart." That calmed down the rat. I can't believe I was unfortunate enough to be the mother of that vermin. I used to lament this fact every day as I figured there was no way to get rid of that rodent without being locked up in jail or being shamed by everyone around me. But that all changed a week ago.

---

I had sent Timmy to daycare and was left alone in the house. I logged onto the town message board, checking the most recent post. The mindless texts occupied my mind just enough to pass the time. There never was much substance beyond the occasional lost dog or garage sale but I couldn't help but to look beyond this hell. Inevitably I came upon one of the advertisements forced by the service. I nearly moved past it until I noticed the amount of comments on this pizza place. 

The messages talked about how every birthday party ended up with a missing kid. I know teenagers occupy the forum more than any of their parents would, and as I read I didn't consider them more than campfire stories. But part of me believed them, and couldn't resist the thought. If they were true, I knew the perfect way to get rid of my burden. 

---

The rodent in the back smiles and looks out the window for the rest of the ride. I suppose if I loved him, I would've found that cute, but I found it graceful as it meant he would be quiet the rest of the ride. After five minutes, I pulled into the parking lot and got out. I made my way to the door that was next to Timmy's seat and opened it for him. I told him two words: "Get out." and he obliged. He closes the car door behind him, stopping to look at the location in confusion. I see a look of fear make its way onto his expression. This makes me have to hold back a smirk. He finally speaks.

"Mom...this isn't the burger spot."

"They serve burgers too.", I tell him, trying to mask my glee. That doesn't change the expression on his face. He speaks again, "You know I don't like clowns." I almost laugh at his comment but I keep it together. "The clown is a girl. Are you afraid of girls, Timmy?" At any point, I was gonna lose it. Watching that rodent quiver in fear was much too entertaining for me to keep my composure. I heard the rat swallow before he spoke again, "N-No, but sh-she's a giant robot, not a g-girl." I roll my eyes in response. I grab the rat by the arm and say, "You're saying 'she' and 'her' when you're referring to her aren't you?" He only looks at me, his expression from confused and afraid, to sad and scared. It was delightful. He doesn't talk so I continue, "Then she's a girl."

I pull the thing by the arm and to the entrance of the restaurant. I stopped in front of the entrance and looked at the giant sign that spelled out the name of my savior: "Circus Baby's Pizza World". I smiled. This was it. This was my final stop before freedom. I looked back at the doors and walked to them. Making my way inside, I kept a firm grip on the rodent so he wouldn't be able to stop walking while I was pulling him. He could try, but he would end up falling on his face if he did so.

Once inside the building, my attention was caught by two elevators. Both round and metal. One of the elevators was locked, and left bare. The second elevator wasn't locked and was decorated with balloons and presents which I assumed were empty. I walked over to the elevator dragging my spawn with me. I looked up at the elevator and saw a "Happy Birthday!" banner. This was obviously the elevator we were meant to go through. I opened the elevator door and walked in with Timmy, I pressed the big pink button, which happened to be the only button. The elevator doors closed and the elevator started descending. A jazz version of the Happy Birthday Song played in the background. I took a look at the rat. I could see tears starting to well up in his eyes. "It's okay Timmy," I thought to myself,

"It'll all be over soon."

The elevator hits its stop with a "ding". It opens up to a hallway. Still holding the rat's arm, I walk through and look around. There were nameless closed-off doors and big signs pointing to areas of the Restaurant. "Funtime Auditorium", "Gallery Room", and "Bathrooms." I reached a door labeled the "Party Room." I looked at my spawn and told him the deal. "I rented out every single one of these animatronics so you can go wherever you want. Your party lasts 4 hours." The rat was still silent, and looked up at me with pathetic eyes. "I've got to go get myself a drink. I'll see you when your party's almost over." I went to walk away but he grabbed onto me. I looked back down at him and saw the panic that was rapidly growing in his face. He started to talk to me in a shaky voice. "N-No Mom, p-please don't go. P-Please don't go." I push him away but he clings onto my arm harder. He talks again, now with sobs in his words, "M-Mom please!!! P-Please...I-I'll be s-smart...I-I'll be good..." I grimace in disgust. He was getting snot on my shirt. I push him away hard enough to make him hit the floor. I took one good look at the pathetic creature that sat on the floor.

I back away from him and get back into the elevator. I hit the pink button and watched the elevator doors close. Through them, I could see my spawn wipe his tears and rise up from the floor as he was obscured by the closing elevator doors. As it begins to rise, I breathe a sigh of relief before feeling a smile I haven't had in years. Under quiet breath, I whisper a phrase I've wanted to say for 8 whole years,

"Goodbye, Timmy."

---

Author: Me

Editor: David