Reunion

“Wait a second, Wayne!?” 

A huge smile spread across my face. I can feel my face flush. Comparing the little kid I once knew to the solid man in front of me almost made me dizzy. Wayne's face also softened a bit a slight smile appearing. 

Next thing I know three shot glasses appear on the bar, “well then, welcome back to Letterkenny” the bartender says lifting her shot. Wayne and I follow suit 

“Glad to be back” I say before we all slam back surprisingly smooth whiskey. I feel butterflies of excitement hit me, definitely not just the whiskey.

I noticed that Wayne tapped his glass twice on the bar, a little bummed I missed the ritual but I'll get it next time. 

“Well Megan how are you now?” Wayne says 

“not so bad, n’ you?” A giggle leaves my lips unable to contain the nostalgia hitting me. 

“Not so bad” he simply replied

We chat back and forth catching up a bit since grade school. Of course he knows that my father passed  and I'm grateful he didn't bring it up. But asked me about Michigan.

“Well I was on a wheat farm that sold out to that big cereal company a generation back so I did pretty well winning the adoption lottery.” 

I giggled a bit and Wayne smiled 

“What about you Wayne, take up the family farm? Wasn't it barely?”

“Well and hay, but yeah, do what you love” 

“And you'll never work a day in your life”

We both said in unison. My face turned red, another giggle coming from me. We both take a swig of our beers. This time Wayne had a huge smile on his face, he stood up quickly and reached out his hand to shake, I reached out and shook his, large rough hands turning me to goo. “well it sure is nice having you back in Letterkenny” Wayne finishes sitting back down as fast as he stood.

“It’s good to be back” so much eye contact with him was going to send me over the edge. Trying to keep myself contained I turn back to the bar. 

When I finish my beer I have I order one more, by the time it's placed in front of me I see two more adult versions of familiar faces walking towards the bar. 

“Dary? Dan? Is that you guys?” I look over at Wayne for confirmation, he gives the slightest nod. I can't help myself at this point. I have to get up and grab 'em’ into a hug. They look confused at first but figure it out. 

“Is that yous Ms Megan, we haven't seen yous since grade schools!?” 

I am just happy as can be, I find my seat next to Wayne with Dan to my left and Dary next to him 

Then another shot appears, for all four of us. We all raise them up, knock 'em back and this time I tap my shot glass twice on the table with everyone.

“So how have you all been, it's been so long since we were all together.” I grab Wayne's shoulder to my right and Dan's shoulder to my left giving them a little shake. “We been doing goods, thanks for askings Megan” Dan replays. The bartender hands beers to Dan and Dary. “You know Wayne here is the toughest man in Letterkenny.” Dary pipes up with a goofy smile. I hear a sigh from Wayne “wish you weren't so awkward bud” I turn to Wayne nudging his shoulder “Well that sounds about right, looks like you grew into that tough guy attitude I remember.” A giggle came from my lips. “So, are yous just here to visits or is this a more permanents thing?” Dan asked 

I can feel my emotions running all over the place but I answer right away, “Actually I bought my pa’s old place. Going to fix it up and make it habitable again.” I force a giggle and let out a sigh. There was a few seconds of silence before Dary cuts in “Well that place has been vacant for a few years, hopefully those degents didn't get to it.” I scratch the back of my head, and let out a nervous giggle “yeah I found evidence of that already l, but it wasn't anything too crazy, a couple needles tho, but other than that.” 

Wayne chipped in “If you need any help, I have two good hands that can pitch in, more hands make less work.” my heart picks up a bit at the kind offer “oh well its kind of something i'd like to do myself. Kind of a healing process for me.” 

“Good enough” Wayne responds simply. 

We have a few more beers catching up with them. 

After an hour or so I am just gleaming. And after that long of grazing Wayne's arm over and over by accident I was sober enough to be headed back and getting ready for the next day. 

“Well boys it's been really nice catching up.” I subconsciously put my hand on Wayne's shoulder, but now that it was there I didn't want to take it off, instead I gave it a little squeeze. I can feel how hard his muscles are, like grabbing a statue. “l’ll be seeing you around, I'll be working on fixing up that old place but you know where I am if you need me, or just wanna talk” I smile finally taking my hand off Wayne's shoulder. I wonder if I branded him with how hot I feel. 

I make my way back to my truck. As I'm driving back to my new place I can't help but say out loud “I knew it was right moving back home”

***Thanks so much for reading is super inspiring to see people are reading something I've wrote. Let me know what you think***