This Isn't Goodbye

The panther and his sister left a while ago, so now  just Winter and my father lie in the room with me. I tried swallowing the lump that formed in my throat, but it was difficult to choke it down. I felt guilty, but I knew that this was the best option for everyone.

"Blaire, are you sure about this?" Winters blue eyes scan over me, looking for any sign of hesitation. 

"Yes, I'm positive. I know what I'm doing." I look at him.

He sighs. "As long as you're positive about this, I'll support your decision. Even if I'll miss you."

I look at the two of them sympathetically, though my eyes lingered on my father longer. These two had gone through so much trouble to find me, and now I'm just leaving them. As much as I really wanted to change my decision, it was final.

"I know you two think I'm insane for wanting to do this, but I can't even trust my own mind. Not to mention that there's evidence that my trigger words still work, and as long as they do, no one is safe. I don't want to be somebody's mindless slave again. I'm scared about what they'd make me do." I slightly shiver.

Winter nodded at me in understanding, but I could see a small glint of sadness in his eyes. He turned and walked away, leaving just me and my father.

He walked closer to me, and his hand rested upon my shoulder. He crouched down slightly and looked me in the eyes when he got to level. "I'm proud of you, Blaire." He smiled before he stood back up and walked back slightly.

Those words made my chest slightly tingle. It felt weird but not in a bad way. Not like how guilt felt, but rather... happiness.

Time skip to her being turned into a popsicle because I really wanna finish this chapter already~

I was now strapped into the all too familiar cryo chamber. The only difference now was that it was my choice. Not Hydra's.

From outside the chamber, both my father and Winter stood side by side near each other. They both looked forlorn, but they tried to conceal it. So, I tried my best to say something to leave on a positive note.

"Don't look so crestfallen. This isn't goodbye, it's simply see you later." I said while slightly smiling at them. They looked at me and tried to return the smile, but I could still see that they both looked sad. It's just not as bad as before.

With nothing else to say, I shut my eyes and did what I always had done when I knew something was going to happen. I counted. The breaths that slowly steadied until there was none left.

One.

Two.

Three.

And as the frost covered her entirely, the last thing visible on her chilled face was a single teardrop, hoping that maybe one day, things would be okay for her once and for all.

(End credit scene)

Both Steve and Bucky stood near an open balcony window, looking at the now setting sun. The one thing that they had both been determined to do was completed. They saved her, and now all she had to do was save herself. Unfortunately, that was a battle she'd have to face alone.

The Prince approaches them from behind. The two turn their gazes from the window to look at the Prince. The two eventually return their eyes to the now almost set sun. Steve speaks up. "Thank you for this." The Prince nods.

"Your daughter and my father, they were both victims. If I can help one of them find peace." He trailed off.

Bucky turned his head to look at the Prince. "You know, if they find out she's here -" He paused. "They'll come for her." He looked at the Prince slightly concerned. 

The Prince turned to them, slightly smiling reassuringly. "Let them try."

The end.

A/N: I delayed this chapter for a few reasons. One, I didn't know what to write to finish it off. Two, I was really not motivated, but I realized that I had ended up on a cliffhanger, and I needed to finish this book once and for all. I hope that this chapter ending was good enough. Stay safe, and enjoy.

-KK