Chapter 11 | Part 1

THE LINCOLN TOWN CAR was circling the block—but when the driver stopped for us, it was not Gyuri but a guy I'd never seen, with a haircut that looked like someone had administered it to him in the drunk tank and piercing, polar-blue eyes.
Boris introduced us in Russian. "Privet! Myenya zovut Anatoly," said the guy, extending a hand slurred with indigo crowns and starbursts like the patterns on Ukrainian Easter eggs.
"Anatoly?" I said cautiously. "Ochyen' priyatno?" A stream of Russian followed, of which I understood not a word, and I turned to Boris in despair.
"Anatoly," Boris said pleasantly, "does not speak one stitch of English. Do you, Toly?"
In answer Anatoly gazed at us seriously in the rear view mirror and made another speech. His knuckle tattoos, I was pretty sure, had jailhouse significance: inked bands indicating time sentenced, time served, time marked in accretions like rings on a tree.
"He says you are pretty speaker," said Boris ironically. "Well-schooled in politeness."
"Where is Gyuri?"
"Oh—he flew over yesterday," Boris said. Scrabbling in the breast pocket of his jacket.
"Fly? Fly where?"
"Antwerp."
"My painting's there?"
"No." Boris had retrieved two sheets of paper from his pocket, which
he scanned in the weak light before passing one to me. "But my flat is in

Antwerp, and my car. Gyuri is picking up the car and some things and driving to meet us."
Holding the paper to the light, I saw that it was a printout of an electronic ticket:
CONFIRMED DECKER/THEODORE DL2334
NEWARK LIBERTY INTL (EWR) TO AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS
(AMS)
BOARDING TIME 12:45A
TOTAL TRAVEL TIME 7 HRS 44 MINS
"From Antwerp to Amsterdam is only three hours' drive," said Boris. "We will arrive at Schiphol about same time—me, maybe an hour after you —I had Myriam book us on different planes. Mine connects through Frankfurt. Yours is direct."
"Tonight?"
"Yes—well, as you see, it does not leave us much time—"
"And why am I going?"
"Because I may need some help, and do not want to bring anyone else
in on this. Well—Gyuri. But I did not tell even Myriam purpose of our trip. Oh, oh, I could have," he said, interrupting me. "It's only—fewer people know of this, the better. Anyway you must run in and get your passport and what cash you can lay hands on. Toly will drive us to Newark. I—" he patted the carry-on, which I had only just noticed in the back seat—"I am all ready. Will wait in the car for you."
"And the money?"
"What you have."
"You should have told me earlier."
"No need. The cash—" he was rooting around for a cigarette—"well, I
would not kill yourself with that. Whatever you have, whatever's convenient—? Because, is not important. Is mostly for show."
I took my glasses off, polished them on my sleeve. "Excuse me?"
"Because—" knocking himself with the knuckles on the side of his head, gesture of old, blockhead—"because I plan to pay them, but not the

full amount requested. Reward them for stealing from me? Because why then won't they rob and steal from me whenever they want? What kind of a lesson is this? 'This man is weak.' 'We can do what we like to him.' But—" crossing his legs spasmodically, patting himself down for a light—"I want them to think we are willing to pay the whole thing. Possibly you want to stop at a machine and get money—we can do that on the way, or at the airport maybe. They will look nice, the new bills. I think you are only allowed to bring ten thousand currency in, to EU—? But I will rubber-band the extra and carry in my case. Also—" offering me a cigarette—"I do not think it is fair for you to come up with the whole sum. I will supply more cash once we get there. My gift to you. And bank draft, as well—at any rate, bad paper for bank draft—bad deposit slip, bad check. Brass-plate bank down in the Caribbean. Looks very good, very legitimate. I do not know how well that part is going to work out. We will have to play it by ear. No one with any brains is going to accept bank draft instead of cash for something like this! But I think they are inexperienced, and desperate, so —" he crossed his fingers—"I am hopeful. We will see!"