Part 1 - Old World

CHAPTER 1

- So what do you have planned for the weekend?
I twirled the pencil between my fingers a few times before answering.
- I don't know, we'll see. Maybe I'll take a stroll through the stores at the mall, who knows.
Geography class would soon be over, but the last few minutes were always the hardest. On top of that, talking about the sea and oceans wasn't the most exciting thing. Even topics for discussion between friends to pass the time were becoming complicated to find.
- Would you like me to go with you?" asked Rick.
I turned to my boyfriend - because after three years we were still together, much to my delight - and stared at him.
Rick had matured a lot since the end of middle school and into his senior year. I found him more mature than before, and as charming as ever. His brown hair was more neatly groomed, but a few rebellious strands sometimes disturbed the whole. He'd also made some resolutions, like taking up weight training, and his strong build was starting to show. But any girl who dared get too close to him would have to deal with me.
- As you can see, if you don't have any plans and my schedule doesn't change, it should be fine.
- So much the better.
A clearing of the throat made me turn my head, the professor was glaring hard at us near the blackboard.
- Since you seem to have listened carefully to the lecture, Miss Miller, you'll probably be able to answer my question.
It had to be me, for a change. I was a geography geek and it probably wasn't on new subjects that I was going to know how to answer.
The teacher was about to open his mouth to speak, when music rang through the school announcing the end of classes. I hurried to pack my things and leave as quickly as possible. Before I could get through the door, the teacher said to me:
- Next time, Miss Miller, you're going to write a fifty-line essay about the sea and oceans at the heart of globalization. I have a feeling it's going to be more than interesting.
There was much chuckling and laughter in the room, but I had already left.
- You're out of luck," said Rick as he joined me.
- As long as the Internet's there, it should be fine.
- I'll help you if you want," replied my friend with a gentle smile, "we were both talking and I don't see why you should have to do it on your own.
- Thanks, Rick.
I kissed him on the cheek.
Suddenly, an arm came around my shoulders.
- So the two lovebirds, still hanging out I see.
- Don't bother them too much, Sting.
Amber was clinging to our friend's arm, for although they'd hidden it for a while, the two of them were literally melting for each other.
- Are you already together?" asked Rick. Sting wasn't supposed to be in the room at the other end of the school.
- Yes, the moron was supposed to be in philosophy class, but he seems to be missing some concepts," replied Amber.
Sting tried to justify himself.
- It's not my fault that I don't have the same interpretation of philosophy as the teacher. He asked me: "Knowing that 'ordinary' is synonymous with 'vulgar', why isn't 'extraordinary' synonymous with 'very vulgar'? Already, I didn't understand the question. So I replied: "Why ask yourself so many useless questions, when you can survive just fine without knowing that? He snapped.
Amber sighed.
- He's not a light, but I like him like that...
We went out through the school gates and made our way to the bus stop in a few minutes, chatting about the day that had just gone by. Barely thirty seconds later, the bus arrived and I got on with my friends. I sat down next to Rick, and Sting and Amber stood in front of us.
- I can't believe it's finally vacation time," gasped the latter.
- Speak for yourself," grumbled Sting, "I'm coming tomorrow for detention.
- Again?" I asked. Weren't you in detention last week for skipping school? What did you do this time?
- I finished the morning at one o'clock one day and I was too hungry, so I asked to go to the toilet, but I went into the kitchens to get something to eat and I got caught. I got three hours of glue and now I'm going to have to clean the whole canteen, as well as the toilets.
- When are you going to stop messing around?
- I think it's impossible to stop him when he's on Joy.

I watched the scenery pass before my eyes, the bus wasn't moving very fast today, in addition to people coming home from work, there were those going on vacation.
After several minutes, Ambre left, and then it was Rick's turn.
Before going downstairs, he kissed me.
- See you later Joy, we're trying to get together this weekend anyway.
- Yes, we will.
- Love is beautiful," murmured Sting after Rick had left.
- It sure is.
My friend came and sat next to me. He too had evolved, often going to the gym with Rick, and had become much taller, towering over me by a head. The only thing that hadn't changed about him was his jet-black hair, which was always left a mess on his head. What's more, he'd managed to draw a line under the past, even if it occasionally came to haunt him.
- Shall we play a game of video games on the way home?
Although the years had passed, Sting still lived with me. The idea of him being adopted by other people had been considered, but given the secret we shared and my friend's character, we preferred to stay under the same roof. Besides, there was also the fact that Tyna was still at large somewhere in the wild, so for the time being this was the best solution in case she were to reappear one day.
- Not just yet, I've got to go to The Reunion," I finally replied, "Lia told me that Emma wanted to see me.
- Do you know what she wants to talk to you about?
- No, my cousin didn't know any more than that.
- I hope it's nothing serious.
His face darkened as if recalling bad memories.
- We haven't had a problem in years, so I don't see why it should happen again now. Besides, Nekrós isn't here anymore, so everything's fine.
- You're forgetting that my mother's still out there and no one's been able to find her, so who knows what she might be up to.
- Maybe she's decided to retire to some remote corner to atone for her sins.
- Or maybe she's planning something Machiavellian.
I stared at the landscape, not knowing how to respond.
- Talking about her won't help," I said, "and that story's long gone, so there's nothing to worry about.
- You said it yourself...
After about ten minutes, the bus finally reached the street near my house and I got off with Sting.
- I'll walk you to the forest," said my friend.
- Thanks, Sting.
We chatted briefly on the way, then Sting left me just outside the forest. I went inside.
The trees plunged the woods into darkness and the few rays of sunset that managed to get through didn't illuminate much.
I headed for the tree that teleported me to The Reunion site. Placing my hand on the trunk, I felt the magic emanating from the wood and recited the magic formula.
- I, Joy Miller, wish to travel to The Reunion.
No sooner had I finished uttering the phrase than the forest around me disappeared.