Chapter 2

I appeared in a corner of the Reunion Hall. Unlike usual, The Reunion was empty, with no one in the main hall. And my very presence in the place seemed strange. All the tables and chairs were empty, as was the stage where the Ancestor and the AS were speaking. I walked towards Emma's office, which had previously been Arthur's and originally that of the many Ancestors who had predeceased him.
When I arrived at the door leading to the office, I was astonished to come across another person in this unoccupied space. When she turned around, I almost pulled out my óplo to celebrate.
- Well, look who it is!" said a rattling voice.
The girl turned around quickly, her long brown hair flying around her. Of all the people I could run into, it had to be her.
- What are you doing here, Zoé?
- The Ancestor wants to see me.
- Ah, you've done something stupid again, I suppose?
- Very funny, but I think it's you who's created the problem.
I grumbled, Zoé was the worst pest I knew, and even if I tried to avoid her at the Meetings, I had to get to her eventually. Over the years, she hadn't matured; in fact, she'd gotten worse. At least, from my point of view, or it was the two of us who were less and less able to manage.
- What's the matter with you?" I asked.
- That you've come down to Earth.
- Unlike you, I'm not going to Hell, that's something.
- Have you ever looked in the mirror and said something like that?
- Yes, but you don't look like you've ever seen yourself.
- Don't be silly, the difference between you and me is obvious at first glance, you look like a frozen mollusk.
- Oh, excuse me," I said in a soft voice, "you need to see your reflection.
I stopped talking to Zoé to prevent my brain from liquefying listening to her gibber useless things; and instead reflected on the fact that we'd been called. Our coming to The Reunion at the same time must surely have had something to do with it. I just hoped we wouldn't have to collaborate.
- I wonder what she could want with you," said Zoé, "you're nothing special compared to me.
- Ah yes! I'd love to see what you do that's so exceptional Miss Perfect," I giggled.
- I'm already a model in a big company, but you, let me think... You're still at school. It's a shame that I'm famous and you're nothing.
I would have liked to have made her swallow her words by telling her that I was one of the Mysterious Ones and that she certainly hadn't saved The Family at the risk of her life as I had. Before I could open my mouth to retort, Emma came running out of the office.
- Good evening girls, it would be better if you didn't get into a fight before we've started.
- What do you mean by that? I don't want to be in the same room with her!
- Same here," I said, arms folded.
Emma sighed and mumbled:
- Why didn't I listen to my instincts when they told me those two could never cooperate....
- Cooperate on what?" I asked.
- Well, if you'd like to come in, that's why you're here.
- I can manage perfectly well on my own," grumbled Zoé as she passed me to enter.
Emma - or the Ancestor - stood in front of her desk and invited us to sit opposite her on the two armchairs.
Having taken the place of the former Ancestor (Arthur), Emma had put some order back into The Family, partly because of Tyna's betrayal and partly because of the Ancestor's death, which had upset many. There had been some difficult times, with everyone suspicious of everyone else, but this had quickly passed, to everyone's great relief, as Emma had managed to restore serenity.
- First and foremost, do you think you have the courage to help The Family in times of need?
I asked Emma with my eyes; she knew all about the Mysterious Ones and was asking Zoé and me if we could help The Family. Had Tyna returned? Had Nekrós been resurrected? Someone had been attacked? Another betrayal? The questions were racing through my head at a phenomenal speed, and I didn't know what to think. Meanwhile, Zoé had had time to answer.
- Of course I've got the necessary courage, unlike Joy, who looks like she's terrified," she laughed.
I pushed all my thoughts out of my head to focus on the moment, Emma would give all the information later.
- Pipe down for a second, Zoé, will you? I'm much braver than you and that's not pride but the truth.
- Don't make fun of me, you wouldn't dare hurt a fly.
Emma rolled her eyes.
- Here we go again... Can't you exchange two friendly words?
- I don't talk to people who are beneath me," said Zoé.
- And I don't talk to people who are as selfish as their feet.
- Me! Selfish as my feet? Do you realize who you're dealing with? My father is one of the AS, and he won't let such an insult to my name pass.
- And my cousin too, I'll have you know. But that's it, go and see Mum and Dad, anyway you're not fit to do anything on your own except complain.
Zoé stood up to look imposing and I got ready to jump on her, but Emma stopped us.
- That's enough!" she shouted. You're the two most suitable people for this job, but if you can't tolerate each other I'll find someone else to replace you.
Zoé sat back down in spite of herself and we refrained from saying anything.
- It's better this way, you'll be more likely to succeed in your mission if you don't fight in the process.
- What do you mean, our mission?" asked Zoé at the same time as me.
- Yes, you heard me right, you're both going on a mission.