1

WARNING: mentions of self harm and previous self inflicted injury. Implicit references to suicidal ideation and what could come off as intent

*

The room was suffocatingly small, a fact Nina had used to busy her mind while her body was abused and questions were thrown her way. It was small, walls adorned with peeling paint, mould and damp patches with tattered floorboards and loose cables. It wasn't healthy nor was it safe to be in here.

Though Nina didn't have much choice in the matter.

Her body was bound to the metal chair she'd been stuck in for what felt like forever, iron chains connected their legs together and cuffs forcing her arms behind her back as they intertwined between the metal rungs.

She was in pain, searing amounts of pain, as the men in the room alternated between slapping her around and asking her questions. None of which she could or had answered. Every inch of her body was littered in bruises and any movement she made brought a whine of agony to her lips.

Everything hurt too much.

All she could do was look for pieces of her team in the remnants that had killed them.

The patch of dried blood where Tristan had once knelt.

The red staining her clothing from the spray of blood from Melody's slit neck.

The track marks in the dust that Adam's lifeless body had formed when they forced an overdose and pulled his corpse out of the room.

The noose, discarded in the corner, that had once lived around Sara's neck.

The burn marks on the floor and the soot that travelled along the walls from where Tobias had been set ablaze.

They were dead and it was her fault.

They were all dead and it was her fault.

They were all dead.

They were all dead.

They were all...

Why was she still alive? Was Simmons still alive?

"Agent Ramos!"

Nina's head snapped up as a voice called out for her. It took a second for her eyes to focus on her surroundings but once they did, she remembered where she was. She tried to push the confusion and pain out of her face as she smiled up at the man who pulled her back to reality, not wanting to comment on the worry evident on his.

"Sorry, Davis," she said softly, turning back to focus on the twenty-so agents looking at her, "where was I?"

It was clear that her old friend wanted to ask if she was okay but he chose not to, and instead focused on bringing her back to the task at hand, training the new agents.

It wasn't a job she'd asked for, if anything she'd fervently refused it but Coulson didn't give her much choice. He hadn't even taken the job away when she threatened to shoot any uncooperative parties, only switched out her gun for an icer every day before her class.

A first Nina thought she was being punished for her disappearing act three months ago, but Coulson had been clear that it was not that.

He wanted her to have a hand in the training of the new generation of agents, that with both her and May's input they would be unstoppable. She'd never cared much about leaving a legacy but it was clear Coulson wanted her to leave even a fraction of her fighting style embedded in the agents, and since he hadn't asked where she'd been in those three months or questioned the load of bandages she'd smuggled from the medbay, she went along with it.