Chapter 19

The nightmare frightened me into not wanting to test the vaccination but I knew it had to be done. It wouldn't cure the dead but it would prevent the living from turning if they got a simple bite or scratch.

I awoke in Daryl's arms in our prison cell. "You alright?" He asked while stretching his arms, yawning. "Fine. Just a nightmare." I replied getting out of bed.

He lifted his right eyebrow in question before getting dressed. We walked down to the cell block while every one was discussing what to do with the vaccinations.

"So who's going to test the vaccination?" Rick asked eyeing everyone carefully. Just as I was about to step forward, Daryl grabbed my arm and pulled me back. "I'm not lettin ya do it." He whispered harshly into my ear. "Daryl I have to." I whispered back.

He continued holding his tight grip on me. No one spoke up. Every one merely looked around for the brave contestant. When Daryl finally loosened his grip I took it as a chance to leap forward.

"I'll do it!" I blurted. "Maya I said no!" Daryl yelled. "Well then who else is gonna do it?" I yelled back. "How are we ever going to know if it works if no one tries? We are all going to die anyways! Whether it's today or tomorrow!" I preached.

Daryl put his head in his hands and walked up to our cell. "Well then it's settled. Glenn, I'm going to need you to get a walker from outside." Rick commanded.

I quickly walked up the stairs to Daryl and I's cell. "Listen Daryl I know you don't want me to do this but I have to. And I need you with me." I sighed while sitting next to him on the cot.

He grasped his hand in mine and looked into my emerald eyes. "I love you Maya. And if anything happens to ya, I'll kill ya." It wasn't meant to be funny, but I let out a slight giggle.

Before I could reply he leaned in and kissed me. It wasn't a soft peck, but a passionate kiss. When we released I replied, "I love you Daryl."

I grabbed his hand and we walked down back to the cell block where Milton awaited with the syringe. As much as I hated shots I wasn't going to let anyone know about that now. Especially when this was a life and death situation.

I sat in a chair next to Milton. He prepared the shot while I squeezed Daryl's hand. I knew I probably cut off his circulation, but I fucking hate needles. I squeezed my eyes shut as he injected me with the yellow liquid. He slowly and carefully pulled the needle out and put a bandage over the tiny hole.

"We need to wait an hour to make sure the vaccination gets through your blood stream." Milton explained as I nodded. I got up and relaxed in Daryl's arms. He held one arm around my waist and the other twirled my hair. This was going to be the longest hour of my entire life.

"Wanna go for a walk?" I asked Daryl. Without responding he led me outside where the bright sun shined on my face. I squinted as I looked out. "I feel like a vampire." I laughed.

Ignoring my comment, Daryl looked hard at me. "I can't believe you're doing this." He shook his head devastated. "You gotta do what you gotta do." I said. "No you don't Maya! We could easily go find another survivor! You don't have to fucking do this!" He screamed. I winced from his yelling. I sat there staring at him. I didn't want to stop him, I wanted him to get all his anger out, to prove me wrong. I knew he was right. It probably wouldn't work, but what if it did? What if? This question was going to kill me.

After an hour of Daryl screaming I figured it was time to go back inside. "Maya please don't do this." He looked at me with tears stinging his eyes. I'd never seen Daryl cry before. I felt terrible. I was making him go through all this stress, but it was too late. I had already taken the syringe.

I grabbed his hand. "Promise me you will not leave my side." I said. He leaned in and kissed me. We walked back into the prison.

"Ready?" Rick asked. "Lets get this show on the road." Merle clapped. "Okay we just need one bite." Milton said while pointing to Michonne. "Do you mind cutting its arms off?"

Without talking, Michonne swung out her sword, and cleanly sliced the arms off of the walker tied to a pole. It was a large muscular walker three times my size.

"Wow great choice." I sarcastically said to Glenn with my hands on my hips. "Sorry he was the first one I saw." He said sympathetically. "So how do I do this?" I said nervously. I was about to step into a death trap. "Just get close enough for it to bite you. Once it does, Daryl will shoot it in the head." Rick replied.

"Alrighty then." I hesitantly walked towards the walker. It made growling noises every time I inched forward. Once I got close enough, I shut my eyes prepared for the bite. I waited for about a good five seconds before realizing nothing was happening.

"Dammit Daryl!" Rick screamed. I looked up to see the walker with Daryl's arrow through its left eye. I glared at Daryl. "Seriously?" I said. "Sorry my-my hand slipped." He stuttered. "Glenn get another one quickly." He ordered. So there I waited. I waited for my fate.

I'm soooooo sorry I haven't updated in forever!!! I've just been so busy! How was every ones spring break? Let me know what you all think!