Chapter one

The sun was blazing in the heat of the summer and my bucket hat didn't do much to keep the sun out of my face. My headphones were half on and half off, the distorted voices of my podcast swirling around my head as I tried to keep a steady pace. My calves were already burning and I'd only been running for five minutes. How pathetic is that? 

I've been pushing myself a lot this week but it's simply because I have so much time on my hands. While Colleen is with the sitter, I'm free to do whatever I want. 

Jett has practice most days and I have my training, so our schedules rarely align. Most of the days I'm left to my own devices, and since my training has been light since I gave birth, there's not much of anything taking up my time. 

As I run I try to breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth but it doesn't help much. My lungs are on fire now and it's gotten too distracting. 

I stop, trudging myself to the side of the trail and taking slow, calculated breaths in and out to regain control of myself. Off the side of the trail, the trees offer more cover from the sun so I opt to rest my back against a large oak tree and that's when I hear it. 

The most pathetic little meow I've ever heard coming from near my feet. I look down and my heart absolutely shatters into a million pieces when I see the shell of what's supposed a kitten. 

Its orange fur is matted and covered in dirt, and there are various leaves and twigs tangles in it. My maternal instincts kick in and I scoop the kitten up and cradle it in my arms as it tries to meow in protest, but all that comes out is a little squeak. 

At first, the cat tries to struggle out of my arms but after a few minutes of shushing and cradling, I think it realized I'm here to help. I tuck the kitten under my arm and get back on the trail, running faster than I ever have in the past nine months for this poor kitten. 

Once I'm back to my car I dig up an old hoodie from my trunk and make a little bed in the passenger seat for the kitten to lay on. Almost as soon as I set the kitten down it falls asleep, and I google the nearest five-star vet in the area and kick my ass into high gear down the highway. 

I book an appointment using Siri as I'm driving and I pull into the parking lot. I scoop up the kitten again and walk into the building. 

I'm met with the familiar smell of antiseptics and animals with a small hint of vanilla from the candle at the front desk. Everything is rather modern. 

Big floor-to-ceiling windows and wooden furniture, paintings and diagrams covering the walls, and warm overhead lights. It was homely and decorated with a few plants, some hanging from the ceiling, others on the floor, and smaller ones on shelves. 

The receptionist was an old lady, slim, presumably in her late fifties. Her hair was a ghostly white, tied into a bun behind her head. She was adorned with white-rimmed glasses and pearl jewelry around her neck. 

She could be the cover girl grandma for every picture-perfect romance movie out there, I thought as I approached her desk. 

She looked up, greeting me with a warm smile. I smiled back. 

"How can I help you, dear?" She asks, moving her glasses up to her head to get a better look at me. I'm suddenly self-conscious about my own, sweaty and worn, appearance. 

Her face is gentle but worn as well. You could tell she's experienced her fair share of life with just one glance. Her eyes are crystal blue, a shining aquamarine. She has criminally long lashes that make me want to invest in a serum. Who knew I'd be so jealous of someone twice my age?

"I have an appointment for this poor baby," I say with a half smile, rocking the kitten back and forth in my arms. The lady frowns sympathetically. 

"The vet will be out in a moment, feel free to have a seat wherever you'd like," 

I nod, and as I pass the desk to sit down I glance at the nametag. Alicia. This is the first time I've noticed how people's names fit them so well. 

The kitten and I cuddle up in a chair and wait for the vet, who only takes around five minutes before calling my name. I follow her into a dimly lit, yet comfortable hallway and a more hospital-like room. The light is fluorescent and lights every surface in the room, leaving behind no shadows. 

The nurse turns to me, a smile on her face. She's a carbon copy of the receptionist, minus the glasses and jewelry. Plus she's probably a decade or two younger. 

"This is a rescue I assume?" The nurse asks, gently taking the kitten out of my arms. 

"Something like that," I say, carefully watching as she places the kitten on the metal table. I help myself to a seat as I explain how I found the cat, "I was on a run and stepped off the trail to take a breath when the poor thing waddled up to me," 

The nurse nods, "Yes, well, he's healthy for a stray. No chip or anything. A little malnourished and dirty but nothing food and a bath can't help," She pauses, scratching the kitten behind his ears, "Are you planning to keep it," 

"My boyfriend might disagree but I do," I laugh, "Not sure what to name him yet," 

The nurse smiles again, "Yes, the process takes time, but I'm sure whatever you come up with will be perfect." 

"Is that all then?" 

The nurse nods, "I'd recommend coming back in a month or so for routine shots and such, but that should be all. He's around fourteen weeks, by the way." 

"Thank you so much for helping, I'll reschedule soon!" I say, picking the kitten back up and walking out of the room, back down the hallway, and into the foyer again. Alicia is on the phone as I'm leaving but she waves me bye. 

On my way back home I stock up on stuff from Petco. I get food, toys, beds, a whole cat tree, litter, a litter box, and treats. All the stuff barely fits into my trunk, and I'm a little embarrassed to admit I spent over three hundred bucks on everything. But in my mind, it's worth it. 

When I'm home, I keep an eye on the kitten and Tuna, who are getting along for the moment, as I set up all the stuff. Once the litter and cat tree are set up, I grab the kitten and run the sink in the kitchen, using dawn soap to wash him. 

He's very accepting of the bath, borderline enjoying it, and Tuna sits between my feet and watches until I'm done. 

It's around eight pm when I hear keys turning in the door. I grab the remote and turn off the TV, holding the kitten behind my back as I walk to meet him at the door. 

I stand a few feet away and when he walks in he rushes to meet me. He places a small kiss on my lips, holding my cheeks as he looks down at me. 

"Is Colleen in bed?" He asks and I nod. 

"Don't be mad," I say and he takes a step back, looking me up and down. His eyes linger on my arms that are behind my back. 

"What did you get?" He asks, putting his hands on his hips and eyeing me disapprovingly. 

"Okay, in my defense, I didn't buy it," I say as I slowly reveal the orange kitten in my hands. His jaw drops and he shakes his head, stifling a laugh. 

Jett takes the kitten from me and holds him up to his chest, stroking his head, "Where did you find this?" He asks, still shaking his head. 

"I was running on a trail and he walked up to me," I say, trying to defend myself. 

He laughs and puts the kitten down, and the cat trots into the kitchen leaving us alone. Jett walks up to me, placing both his hands on my waist and bringing me in for another kiss. 

"Did you name him?" He asks, placing his forehead against mine. I shake my head and he kisses me again. 

"I was thinking salmon," I pause, "We can add to the fish family," I say. Jetts' whole body shakes as he laughs. 

"Can we please keep him?" I ask, pouting out my bottom lip.

"When you ask like that," He kisses the tip of my nose, "I'd buy you the whole world, ma'am,"

"Even North Korea?" I ask, referencing Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. 

"Shut up," He says, picking me up. I wrap my legs around his waist and he carries us to our bedroom.