Prologue

Overview

Oulexius Castle. The Maverick home of over 400 hundred years. The home in which the once beloved Queen Winona used to live. The castle whose history is stained in blood, betrayal, anger and peace. The current home of High King Tristan his beautiful wife, High Queen Eleanor. 

Very rarely were the lights kept on as late as they were on this particular night, and there was ever only one reason for these lights to be on: One, if not all, the kings of Asherah were coming home. They all had their own reputations, and each seemed to be so painstakingly different from the other, that it was a miracle the four hadn't killed each other off yet. 

However, for one brother, that thought process wasn't unusual in the slightest. The youngest son, the king of West Asherah, was well known for the brutal ways he exacted his power. From rolling heads to tortuous situations those who plotted against him found themselves in. Some said this was due to trauma he had endured as a child, while others claimed that the Blood Queen's spirit inhabited him. However, only time would tell which was true. 

It was odd that Rhyland would be the first to show up, and yet his visit would only solidify his mark of bloodshed from the moment he stepped into the castle. 

PRESENT

As the sound of tires squealed against the wet, cold pavement, the driver looked in the mirror, only to be met with chilling brown eyes. Instantly averting his gaze, the driver came to a stop at the intersection, waiting for a couple and their young children to cross the road. 

"Your highness." He began, voice on edge, causing the sound of a rather annoyed, heavy sigh as the head of dark hair lifted to reveal yet again those cold eyes. 

"What?" His voice was cold, and anyone could tell he wasn't quite in the mood for this conversation. It wasn't a secret that this young king and his parents had an undesirable relationship. One side was painted as a monster, and a monster he became. While the other had its own agenda for the young man. 

"I am to drop you at the front gate." What nonsense was this? Eyes rolling, the young man nodded. When the driver didn't receive a response, he decided he was going to push it a little more. He knew why he was dropping the inhuman man at the gate, but if he had his way, he would murder the man in the car with him then and there. 

"I hear you-" his sentence was cut short by the cold steel up against his throat, causing him to draw his breath sharply, hands tightening on the wheel to the point they were white. 

"We both know I don't like such nonsense. You can either shut up, or meet your demise here and now." His voice was silky, one that only a manipulator would have. Hearing his driver's trembling breath only made him amused as a wicked smile formed. "Now do keep going Mr. Bradfield, I would absolutely hate to cause you to be unemployed and starve." He finished, as he sat back in his seat yet again. 

Gulping loudly, body trembling, the elder man nodded and continued the drive to Oulixeus Castle. Needless to say, nothing else was said. As the car pulled up in front of the gate, the man got out of the car, and knocked on the driver's window. Terror flashed across the driver's face for a brief moment before he lowered his window.