The Fallen Position

While wandering through tents and booths, Korin had naturally taken the fallen position. Walking just slightly behind Talis and Mikhail, the two exchanging the lead as they went. Talis would be interested in satiny clothes from the south, glittering jewelry of questionable origin, and half naked belly dancers and sword swallowers available to see for a few coppers. In between garments and entertainers, Mikhael would veer to the side, asking about trinkets, flutes, and vases, and Korin and Talis would trail after him. It was an easy encounter for individuals who were only beginning to explore each other's company.

"Was there anything you wanted to see?" Mikhail asked Korin as the three sat off to the side of the bridge under a shaded tree. Too many boulders littered the area for anyone from the convoy to make camp. It had spared them a bit of privacy in the irregularly busy village.

Korin had seen just about everything, Talis and Mikhails interests alone afforded her sweeps through almost every storefront. She had heard in passing of a cloth vendor with patterned fabrics, fine threads and needles. But that was further into the valley and the bridge was the border of her lawfully imposed barrier. She shook her head. "I saw everything there was to see."

"There's still more in the village-..." Talis cringed. A moment of panic set her stomach on fire as she decided whether to brush off her fumble, pretend it didn't happen, or bring up Korins rules for existing.

Korin's swift and neutral reply saved Talis from herself. "Please do not let me stop you, I'm fine here. Earlier I heard that there are some beautiful seamstresses situated in the town square as well as a group of Mysai shamans. You should check them out."

Talis' ears perked at the mention of the shamans. "Really?" The shamans were nomadic warriors of the Mysai. Strong, with mystical magic and said to possess great beauty. 

Korin nodded. "You should go as well, Mikhail. Caravans of this size do not travel through Imore often. It may be months before we get another one, even half this size."

Talis was a little blown away. It was the most time she had ever spent with Korin, and for all her creepy awkwardness, big yellow dry eyes, and flat barren tone, she was calm and kind. Talis did not suddenly find comfort in her presence but it wasn't as intolerable as she had feared it to be. "Yeah!" Talis agreed with Korin while looking at the blonde man sitting on the other side of her. "You and I can go check out the vendors in the village and Korin will wait here for us."

    She felt iniquitous as she spoke. Idoni had asked her to get a closer look at the spirit that lived in Mikhail. So far he managed to position himself just on the other side of Korin every time Talis had tried to get a proper look. Being directly concealed by Korins tiny figure twice was coincidental, but hiding in her shadow every time Talis looked was suspicious.  Going to the other vendors together was a good excuse to be able to examine him better but it also felt a little rude leaving Korin behind.

Korin didn't mind. Korin was used to being by herself and, if she were honest, she was tired. She'd had more human interaction in the last three days than she probably had her entire life. She was starting to exhaust. 

Mikhail stared at her a moment before she waved her hand in stern dismissal. "Go on. I'll wait here until you get back."

*

Korin watched the road from her rest, hunched against a boulder grown over with grass and tufts of moss. She sat shaded away from the eyes of others. She was good at that. Hiding. Always quick to search out the deepest shadow, some unseen and forgotten corner. A place from which she could see the world but it could not see her.

    She still managed to attract attention once every blue moon, when her presence was a little too close for a little too long. But not so much now as when she was young. It was a skill that took time and practice to learn.