Abandoned Hope - Part 2

I pull apart the leaves that dangle down from a tree revealing the small cave I call my own. I duck through that doorway, greeted by the thicker moisture filled air and dimness. I have decorated and carved out most of it myself. A few drawings, a letter, and a blue stone rests on the wobbly handmade table Imani gave me. My small bed made of moss and Cotton sits directly across from the entrance. Other than those things, my room is rather plain, with no room for anything else. The smallness of it is comforting, like a hug. I sit down on my bed for what I know will be the last time and pull my knees to my chest in thought.

I used to laugh at Lai for being stubborn and worry when he questioned our God, Sci. After all, the tree would open up and provide us with everything we needed. Some foods. Items. Anything we asked for. But after he showed me one of the books he had received from Sci, things started making all too much sense. I couldn't have blind faith anymore. Not like I used to. Not like Morri. The article hidden in the book described our situation all too well. It was called "The Chosen." It described our cave and us to a T. Then claimed we where being tricked. The rest of the artical was ripped away. Lai said it was a sign for us to escape but Morri was stone set on it being a test sent from Sci.

A sigh escapes me at the thought of Morri and I fold and sweep everything on the table into a waterproof pouch Zion had recently engineered It fit perfectly into my pocket. The man likes to play dumb sometimes, but he certainly has interestingly clever solutions to a lot of things. Lai called it "Engineering". At that thought I slip that pouch into my worn pockets. With one last glance back I slip out of my nook, knowing I won't return.

Across the way is the tree of Sci, its red leaves shining in the sunlight that slips through the cracks of our cave. There, at the trees base sat a man, his red hair the same color of the leaves is dim with dust. He has his head bowed in his praying hands, his murmured words too quiet to make out. I felt my heart clench along with my hands before I had to look away. Morri.

I look down at my bare feet, carefully watching where I step instead of confronting what I have to do. I finally reach the tree, surprised Morri hasn't commented on my approach. Now I'm close enough to see his face which is twisted in a mix of what I assume to be sadness and fear. I look down at him nervously, the memory of his face lit up by flames. My drawing being turned to smoke. He had the same look on his face.

"Hey. Morri. It's time." I say. When he turns towards me I can see his face clearly. There are marks of where tears had once been slideing down his face, having washed away the dust. The whites of his eyes are red with irritation making the green in them all the more vibrent. His freckles are hidden indistinguishable from the dust. The sight is unbelivly sad, my anger turning to pity. He stairs at me for a second, seeing my pity, something of anger in his eyes, and stands to his feet. Avoiding his eyes I look down to find his knees bleeding. Probably from kneeling on the rocks around the tree of Sci for so many days.

I take in a sharp breath at the sight. "Your knees-" I start but am interrupted by his horse voice.

"I will tell you one last time Lucy, because I love you and I know you know better." Morri states, "You and Lai's distrust of Sci is what started this, and Lai's suicide mission is just that. Suicide. We must trust Sci. You used to know that. Be a believer. Sci knows all." Tears welled up in his eyes again. "We must trust Sci, I don't want to die. We must trust Sci." As he repeats this over and over I look back. His cave visible from here. Inside resides the many many gifts the tree had given him. He was always a huge believer, Sci always rewarded him for it.

"Morri," I say, turning back and looking up at him. "You know I don't believe that any more. If you would just listen-" I start, but he cuts me off again by turning to me and firmly saying "no" with a shake of his head. He takes a small step towards me, anxiety grips my heart. His hand reachs twords my face and I flinch closing my eyes. He carefully slips a strand of my hair out of my face and softly behind my ear. His hands are shaky with each move, rough from the rocks. When he finishes his hand lingers on my face, feverish. I open my eyes, meeting his gaze I can see the stubbornness in his eyes and I know he can see it in mine. "Hm." he says, an understanding in his tone. He turns away from me placing his hand into his pocket and pulling out a replica of the tree of Sci. It's a beautiful metal piece, the leaves represented by red crystal rocks. I open my hands and he then turns back placing it into them. I watch as he moves to close my handss around it, the cold sculpture contrasting his hands.we stay like that for a second, his eyes fixed on my hands and his hair dustly and clustered in loose curls .

Morri whispers to me, looking up into my eyes. "I hope you change your mind before it's too late. I remember your faith." Then he turns back to the tree, continuing his prayer.

I looked behind me. The light that slips through the crack of our cave creates a line that has almost hit the first marked point. It's what Lai had come up with to keep time. If we don't escape by point 3 we're done. Dead.

I reach out for Morri in one last hope, but he jolts away at my touch and shakes his head, kneeling back down with a wince.

"Morri." I say and raise my voice suddenly feeling a strong weight in my heart, "MORRI PLEASE." But he doesn't listen and continues his helpless prayer. Is it wrong that some part of me is wondering if I'm wrong? I shake off the scary thought and rush up to the top of the hill by the water hole where everyone is waiting. The crack of light extends up to the waterhole. I follow it. The same light marks reside there as well.